Desktop aquaponics system.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatureFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone know how to make a really really small aquaponics system? I know someone who would love one as a gift (and if it goes well I want one too!) and I was wanting to make one myself as I think it would be more fun and heartfelt that way. I was hoping I could use a jar as a mini tank with maybe a few snails (and a small carpet plant for filtration in the jar for the snail and just for looks) to produce the waste and then use gravel or those little clay balls as the media. I did some research but unfortunately I couldn't find anyway to make a system that small.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

got a 10gal tank laying around? I have been toying with this idea for awhile now as testing "used fish water" on my house plants and stalks from work show plants grow like wildfire (did you know you can re-grow lettuce, green onions and others from the cut end that's normally tossed out?) I was going to get a 1 1/2 to 2 in pvc pipe and have it cut in half so its wedged into place(side to side) on the inside of the tank at water level. Some HOB filters have a pump that sits on the outside and pumps water up and into the filter rather than pulling it in..I found a small one and was going to "hide" it in second piece of pipe after wedging it into a back corner(up and down). my issue so far (outside of a poor rescued oscar waiting on me to get him a bigger tank) is the light setup.... the only way I see it working well is to hang the lights above (duh) but I mean more than a few inches and I just haven't figured out how to do so without it looking ghetto

got a 10gal tank laying around? I have been toying with this idea for awhile now as testing "used fish water" on my house plants and stalks from work show plants grow like wildfire (did you know you can re-grow lettuce, green onions and others from the cut end that's normally tossed out?) I was going to get a 1 1/2 to 2 in pvc pipe and have it cut in half so its wedged into place(side to side) on the inside of the tank at water level. Some HOB filters have a pump that sits on the outside and pumps water up and into the filter rather than pulling it in..I found a small one and was going to "hide" it in second piece of pipe after wedging it into a back corner(up and down). my issue so far (outside of a poor rescued oscar waiting on me to get him a bigger tank) is the light setup.... the only way I see it working well is to hang the lights above (duh) but I mean more than a few inches and I just haven't figured out how to do so without it looking ghetto

My DIY HOB metal halide light may give you a few ideas. It's a bit strong for the tank I have it on, but may otherwise be perfect for your project.

Back
Top Bottom