DIY 10 gal light hood question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thartley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10 gallon tank that doesn't have a top of any kind. I am using a Penguin Bio-wheel (HOB). I am thinking of making a light hood and would like some advice please.

I am considering just making a wooden box that sets on the tank. It wouldn't be as deep as the tank, which is 12" deep - maybe only about 6" wide x 21" long so that it wouldn't interfere with the bio-wheel. The fluorescent fixture would be the type that is made for mounting under kitchen cabinets. I already have a light fixture laying around.

My main concern is the under cabinet light is not made to be mounted only inches from the water. A normal hood has glass that the light fixture rests on so the fixture isn't exposed to the moisture. I'm thinking I have two options with this setup. Either get a glass lid that I can rest the box on or inset some glass into a dado in the box itself.

If I buy a piece of glass from a glass shop, do I need to ask for a particular type, such as tempered?

If it is only about 6" x 20", how thick should it be?

Any idea how much the glass would cost?

Are there any disadvantages to this approach?

Thanks.

A lot of fish supply stores sell a glass cover for many different sized tanks. I bought one for a ten gallon tank....it sits right inside the plastic lip inside the tank.
If you have the piece cut, I wouldnt think it would need to be tempered, as the heat isnt going to be excessive. Most glass shops will cut a pice of untempered glass for pretty cheap...they may have scraps they can cut it from. Ive had small pieces cut, for other purposes, that only cost a few dollars. If you are utilizing the tank for fish only, I think the undercabinet flourescent light would be just fine. If you get into plants later on, you might need to start looking into different bulbs that are better suited for growing plants.

I just built a hood for my 10 I used 1x4s and made a box and cut a piece in half the long way for the back so it would have some ventalation and used a piece of like 1/8 inch wood for a top put some hinges on it and im set. I have 47w in it and im not worried about the lights so close to the water. If you put a piece of glass in it youll need to put it in a slot built in to the hood or it will be a real PITA to open your tank all the time.

Back
Top Bottom