DIY 10 gallon AIO tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bgmann12

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have decided to make a small 10 gallon AIO tank that will be like a small grow out/soft coral tank. I plan to make it Zoa and paly dominate. This will be my first diy aquarium modification. My plan is to take a standard 10 gallon and put a divider at one end. Here the water will overflow, go through some mechanical media, flow into the next chamber which will be a refugium, lastly it will flow over the next baffle into the return section where there will be a cobalt maxi jet 900.

I'm trying to make something like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Do any of you guys know how to calculate how much water will flow through the teeth in the overflow.

Cool project. Sorry, I can't help with the flow rate through the grate question.
Perhaps you can design it in such a way that the grate/slotted section is a separate piece that is detachable. This way you can customize the number and size of the slots to get the desired flow rate. Just a suggestion.

^Sorta like fresh said^
But just drill a hole under teeth so you can place a solid piece that can be raised if needed to control the level in tank you desire.
Reef octopus HOB overflows have something similar...
:popcorn:

^Sorta like fresh said^

But just drill a hole under teeth so you can place a solid piece that can be raised if needed to control the level in tank you desire.

Reef octopus HOB overflows have something similar...

:popcorn:

I like that better! Much simpler.

I was thinking about doing that but didn't know how I wanted to install it. Thanks! I think you guys just solved the problem.

Should I make a large fuge or a very small one with a media section?

IMO in such a small space the more for fuge the better,
LR could go in fuge also and act as the base media for BB.

I was leaning towards the fuge as well. How do y'all recommend cutting 1/4" acrylic?

I have finally decided on a layout for the rear chambers on the tank after hours and hours of thinking!!! Here is a google Sketch Up model of the whole thing. the fuge is in the far right and the return is on the far left with the heater in the middle chamber.

Nice!
I have a full wood shop so I cut acrylic on table or band saw...
Both scare me especially when the sheet goods are cold...
The band saw seems way less dangerous IMO...

Do you guys think I should make it a frag tank or a small nano display.

Frag tank it is.

Cut the acrylic today. Tomorrow I will put the tank together!!!

I put the tank together yesterday and I'm waiting to the silicone to dry. I know silicone and acrylic do work too well together but this is a fairly low pressure application because there will be water on both sides, so I'm not too worried about it. I will post pics tomorrow. I also made a external fuge light using the electrical gang box mod. FYI I decided to make this a frag tank.

The tank is working great. Mounted the lights and they are working well so far!

Back
Top Bottom