Diy 10 gallon sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishfan321

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a ten gal(us) tank i want to use for a sump with my 30 long. How do I even start this?? Please help with items, and where to glue walls.

What are you planning to have in the sump? More rock, deep sand bed, skimmer, just more water volume?

With a 10g I would think to have just 3 parts, intake - middle skimmer or fuge - pump back to tank.

The rule of thumb for most people on sumps is "bigger is better". 10g doesnt leave much room for anything. Is your 30g going in a stand? If so, you could fit a larger sump underneath? For example, a 20g long and have plenty of room for a decent skimmer, return section and a fuge.

Chisel said:
The rule of thumb for most people on sumps is "bigger is better". 10g doesnt leave much room for anything. Is your 30g going in a stand? If so, you could fit a larger sump underneath? For example, a 20g long and have plenty of room for a decent skimmer, return section and a fuge.

Yes it is pretty big too.. Could I use rubbermaid?

Sure you could. A lot of poeple use those to expand the water volume to decrease parameter fluctuation. Search around for a "DIY Rubbermaid Sump"

Check out "Melev's Reef". He has an awesome page describing sumps and their design.

Figure a minimum of 25% of the display tank volume for a sump.

Back
Top Bottom