DIY 10G divider

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishie

Aquarium Advice Addict
As anyone made a 10G tank divider?? Starting to need one and wondering how. If not 10G any other size?

I haven't but you could use egg crate and if you need to break the line of sight you could grow moss on it.

If you need a solid wall you can use a sheet of plexiglass cut to size. I saw an article where you cut the glass smaller, then use EPDM All Climate weatherseals available at your home supply store to fix it in place. That way you can move the wall or remove it as needed. If you need water flow, carefully drill small holes through the plexiglass (it can crack easily but works better if placed against a piece of wood when drilling) to alow the flow.

Retired_AF said:
If you need a solid wall you can use a sheet of plexiglass cut to size. I saw an article where you cut the glass smaller, then use EPDM All Climate weatherseals available at your home supply store to fix it in place. That way you can move the wall or remove it as needed. If you need water flow, carefully drill small holes through the plexiglass (it can crack easily but works better if placed against a piece of wood when drilling) to alow the flow.

Thanks going to try this soon once I get supplies :D just buying might be cheaper but I like projects and working with my hands

i'd also recommend (depending on the reasons for the divider) aquatic mesh.

a lot of people use these for things like moss walls and the application for a tank divider is fairly similar.

you can buy mesh from most LFS i believe, or even hardware stores (bunnings if you're in australia, or home depot in the US i believe?). just don't buy any with metal.

simply cut to size, leaving approx 1-2 inches of additional space on either side, and place suction cups through the mesh down both sides. place in tank, stick the suction cups to the back and front and voila. this gives plenty of water flow if required, and doubles as good grounding for plants or moss you might use with it (if you do). if you have substrate, place an inch in it so nothing can go underneath also.

Last edited:
Can you use plain cloth? I have pregnant guppies, and that sounds much easier than having another tank

alia258 said:
Can you use plain cloth? I have pregnant guppies, and that sounds much easier than having another tank

I don't know how the plain cloth would work because there is nothing really holding it "down". You could try I don't know how it would work out though.

Um well no they wont dude, not only will the parents nibble and eat at them but the other inhabitants will too...the neon tetras are big enough to eat them too

alia258 said:
Um well no they wont dude, not only will the parents nibble and eat at them but the other inhabitants will too...the neon tetras are big enough to eat them too

Yes I would just make a homemade breeders trap/net thing so it would trap babays and parents can't eat them only 8$ around some petcos. Not all have them though:/

Yes I would just make a homemade breeders trap/net thing so it would trap babays and parents can't eat them only 8$ around some petcos. Not all have them though:/

ya i have one of these, also dividing the 10 in half would essentially create 2-5 gallon tanks which is too small for neons how long would you divide it for?

Um perhaps a tank divider that costs less, it'd be nice to be able to put it dead center, but I only have a 10g...sigh. Is there a DIY version using things found at home? I wanted to maybe try a clear shower curtain with little holes cut for water circulation, but I'll have to wait untill my anacharis takes root first...but if I can't find shower curtain, any other bright ideas?

alia258 said:
Um perhaps a tank divider that costs less, it'd be nice to be able to put it dead center, but I only have a 10g...sigh. Is there a DIY version using things found at home? I wanted to maybe try a clear shower curtain with little holes cut for water circulation, but I'll have to wait untill my anacharis takes root first...but if I can't find shower curtain, any other bright ideas?

I don't know but household items would neat also to make it out of. I got none though :/

For three weeks or so after the babies are born. They don't really need that much space though. I think I'll split it about 3:7 keeping the babies and my Cory on the smaller side (the cory is a bottom feeder and won't eat the fry and will also eat any food that they don't eat) oh and guys, I'm not sticking my guppy in a breeder box EVER, it causes too much stress and the plants I have on the side for the babies to hide in will work just fine ^^

Maybe if I took apart a shower poof and layered it a few times...but I couldn't adhere it to the glass I'm not meaning for it to be permanent...perhaps some foam? Like that softish stuff you find at a craft store! My mom has tons of that stuff and nothing to do with it! (it's the softish kind that bends and cuts easily) could I do something with that??! ^^

Use some plastic mesh for cross stitching. It's like $1 for a huge sheet, cut it to size then put a report cover thing on the sides to help brace it and bury the bottom in the gravel. (I'm talking about the little plastic sleeves that hold the sheets and the cover together). Use two sheets cut so that the squares overlap to get smaller openings. So that the corners of the squares of one sheet are in the middle of the squares on the other. Put the plastic thing over both sheets together. Bury the bottom in the gravel and make sure the sides are braced well on the walls of the tank.

I like your idea, and I just thought this, but the foam my mom has could work as a brace on the edges. But can it be possible to make the dividers out of foam?

I doubt foam would give enough water flow through it. It would make a good brace though. I'm just not sure if is aquarium safe, or if it wouldn't just float.

Back
Top Bottom