Okay all I have been trying this set up for about a week and its been looking good, so for those of you who want a 10G plantable set up and on a budget, you can try this set-up: Oh yeah if anyone know a decent amount of this stuff and thinks something is wrong with this set-up please tell me so I can fix it or not suggest it) Those of you reading this to build this tank, first let some people criticize this, thanks!)
1. 10 Gallon tank at petsmart for about $10
2. Incandecent hood at walmart for about $19 ( I do suggest another incandecent hood that supports non-tubular lights, mine supports tubular lights and makes for a tight fit for the bulbs)
3. 2 20 watt = 75 watt incandecent spiral florecent bulbs at wal-mart, two pack for $9 (should give about 3.75 per gallon... I think (someone check my measurement please))
4. A heater and small filter is up to you, opinions from these members should be heard, they know they're stuff. If you've got about 20 or so bucks to spare, I suggest the mini bio-wheel from penguin, and the proaquatics heater 75W or 100W)
5. Though not exactly needed but highly suggested a CO2
system of some kind. The DIY is VERY cheap and VERy easy to make, follow the directions the members here have given in this forum or buy the Hagen unit for about $30 at the LFS
6 Either buy a bag of Flourite for the entire gravel set up or have a minor amount of awuarium gravel mixed with it, OR get Pure Laterite and follow the directions for mixing it with aquarium gravel, think it was 5% or something and gravel 95%. Prices vary depending on what you get and how much, so sorry but its up to you to decide.
7. I suggest a timer for the lighting part of it, can get it at a local hardware store for about $5
8. Get about 2 1/2 X 7 inch marine grade aluminum for the reflector portion of the hood. (all you have to do is cut that piece in half and cut out the plastic portion of the hood vents and attach the reflector portions with drilled holes(metal vents that don't melt)).
8. a thermometer
9. Whatever plants you want for your plant set-up.
Worst case scenario on total price:
Cheapest: 55 bucks (w/o heater, filter, gravel, or plants)
90 bucks (w/ all above but cheap products)
Most expensive: 120 bucks (with good above products)
!!!!!!!!!! Please inform me if you disagree and why so I know what to fix or what not to suggest many thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!