DIY 10G plant tank cheap but need criticism first

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Electrobes

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay all I have been trying this set up for about a week and its been looking good, so for those of you who want a 10G plantable set up and on a budget, you can try this set-up: Oh yeah if anyone know a decent amount of this stuff and thinks something is wrong with this set-up please tell me so I can fix it or not suggest it) Those of you reading this to build this tank, first let some people criticize this, thanks!)

1. 10 Gallon tank at petsmart for about $10
2. Incandecent hood at walmart for about $19 ( I do suggest another incandecent hood that supports non-tubular lights, mine supports tubular lights and makes for a tight fit for the bulbs)
3. 2 20 watt = 75 watt incandecent spiral florecent bulbs at wal-mart, two pack for $9 (should give about 3.75 per gallon... I think (someone check my measurement please))
4. A heater and small filter is up to you, opinions from these members should be heard, they know they're stuff. If you've got about 20 or so bucks to spare, I suggest the mini bio-wheel from penguin, and the proaquatics heater 75W or 100W)
5. Though not exactly needed but highly suggested a CO2 system of some kind. The DIY is VERY cheap and VERy easy to make, follow the directions the members here have given in this forum or buy the Hagen unit for about $30 at the LFS.
6 Either buy a bag of Flourite for the entire gravel set up or have a minor amount of awuarium gravel mixed with it, OR get Pure Laterite and follow the directions for mixing it with aquarium gravel, think it was 5% or something and gravel 95%. Prices vary depending on what you get and how much, so sorry but its up to you to decide.
7. I suggest a timer for the lighting part of it, can get it at a local hardware store for about $5
8. Get about 2 1/2 X 7 inch marine grade aluminum for the reflector portion of the hood. (all you have to do is cut that piece in half and cut out the plastic portion of the hood vents and attach the reflector portions with drilled holes(metal vents that don't melt)).
8. a thermometer
9. Whatever plants you want for your plant set-up.

Worst case scenario on total price:
Cheapest: 55 bucks (w/o heater, filter, gravel, or plants)
90 bucks (w/ all above but cheap products)
Most expensive: 120 bucks (with good above products)

!!!!!!!!!! Please inform me if you disagree and why so I know what to fix or what not to suggest many thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh yeah another thing to add to the list is if you build a DIY CO2 unit, remember you need the components for it like baking soda, yeast, etc. Plus I highly suggest getting a check valve for the CO2 unit as a saftey precaustion, its cheap and well worth the security.

Electrobes, great post! You been doing some homework, good job!

Since you asked for criticism, here's a bit, not much though.
I suggest the mini bio-wheel from penguin,

This is the only thing i would disagree with, biowheels are great in tanks with no co2 added, but with added co2, the surface agitation, and action of the biowheel will drive off much of the co2 you are trying to keep disolved in the water.

#6, substrate. no problems with what you suggested, just would like to put one more option out there, Schultz' Aquatic Plant Soil. 6-8 bucks for a 10lb bag (walmart, Home Depot, Lowes). Designed for pond plants, also works very well in planted tanks. If I had known of this product before setting up my 90 gallon tank I could have saved $100. As far as i can tell, it's just as good as flourite, even looks almost exactly the same.

yeah I should have realized about the bio wheel and the CO2 deal, plus the plants act as better bio filters anyway :p - GREAT suggestion about the substrate though, wish I had known about it :cry:

Oh yeah another suggestion... for those of you who don't feel like spending on plants, remember that for most plants prunning pieces and replanting them will work! So if you have a friend in the area and want to save your money for other things.. ask him or her to take whatever he or she wants to throw away!

Yeah, good call on the pruning, I throw a bunch of plants away. I have the schultz stuff and so far this stuff is great. I have it all covered with about 1/4" of pea sized gravel so the fish dont move it around to much and holdfasts can get a better grip. Good posting.

I have given away clippings at work, to friends, heck I'd give to total strangers if they asked! I still cannot keep up! I still throw many pounds in my compost heap, even after putting more plants in the pond this year! I'd trade to lfs, by my local one are jerks, and the other places are a pain to get too.

Back
Top Bottom