DIY 4ft tank stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did you finish this?

Well I just wrote a nice long reply and the flicking thing didnt work :-( basically I haven't had chance due to trying to get the tank water tight again, stripping the old silicone was more time consuming than I thought along with other things I have to do around the apartment too hopefully the next few days ill be getting the tank water tight and then I can concentrate on the stand :)

Still can't figure out which way is best to water proof the MDF under the tank

I wouldn't be as concerned about the part below the tank as much as the bottom of the inside of the stand where the sump sits, for me a lot more water gets spilled down there bc that's where I do the water changes. Just put a few coats of paint on the top of the stand if you're worried, that's why they paint houses. I re-sealed my tank also and I too had to re do it, huge pita for sure but it's def something you want to get right lol.

I wouldn't be as concerned about the part below the tank as much as the bottom of the inside of the stand where the sump sits, for me a lot more water gets spilled down there bc that's where I do the water changes. Just put a few coats of paint on the top of the stand if you're worried, that's why they paint houses. I re-sealed my tank also and I too had to re do it, huge pita for sure but it's def something you want to get right lol.

Ah well see I don't have a sump, I use HOB filters so its not so much the inside I'm worried about, I tend to spill mine down the front which would run straight onto the wood. Over here in the UK 99% of houses are made from brick we don't really use wood for houses so weather/water proof paint isn't as available over here.

Resealing the tank is such a pain in the back side , I finished the reseal yesterday, gotta wait for it to finish curing and then I can water test which isn't going to be easy due to me living in a second story apartment if it leaks or bursts I'm screwed

Back
Top Bottom