DIY 5 gallon refugium for 20 gallon reef- need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lance M.

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want to put a small refugium on my 20 gallon for some macroalgae and extra lr. I have no idea. could someone lay it out for me?

well anyone going to respond?

I thought about getting 2 small ph's (~80 gph or smaller if I can find) and attaching tubing to them to connect the two tanks.

would just doing this work?

i am not a salty but i am suprised none has helped u yet. i think what u want to do is run one pump in the refugium(this is going under the tank right?) if u run 2 pumps u take the chance of one overpowering the other and overflowing your refuge. if u only have one it will pull the water through the intake aswell as push it out the outtake. i think. try posting in the begginner forum on the salty side and hope the mods dont pull it down here.

Here is a link to an old thread of mine from when I was building my sump, it includes a link to the design I used.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=61456

The only issue I see is cost since your tank in probably not drilled. Overflow boxes can run $100 for a good one. Suggest you look at a 10g vs. a 5g. The more water volume the better.
A 10g will also give you more room for skimmer heater etc.
Besides a 10g tank is probably no more castly that a 5g is not cheaper.

If you are looking for a pure fuge I have seen the CPR style HOB fuges that come with pumps and lights. They are very costly IMO.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom