DIY 60g overhaul with 40g sump/fuge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marc118

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Today I started work on my used 60g that I got for dirt cheap.

I got the 60g, 40g, stand, 30lbs sand, Berlin Turbo Skimmer, all for $150.

So today I plummed the return how I want it ( although I need to tee off the pump into the fuge for backpressure ). I will also be adding 2 CLS into the mix.

I also went ahead and cleaned the tanks the best I could as well as paint the back of the 60g black.

Next week my overflow from acrylicaquariums should be here and my tank will be getting drilled.

Im also ordering the acrylic and other parts for the sump next week.

On that 40g I cant seem to get all the crap off it, any ideas on what to use?

Have you tried a little bit of vinegar on that 40. Works a little bit better than the razor blade and elbow grease does. At least it did for one aquarium I got from my buddy that still had years of deposits on it. You mentioned that one was going to be for your sump and fuge right. Is it going to be hidden under the stand, well if so it doesn't have to be perfect does it? By the way sweet deal on the price. I wish I could come around those once in a while.

Right it will be hidden in the stand, I just wanted to make it clean hehe.

What is a good aquarium safe silicon caulking?

I know you can order the aquarium silicone from the pet stores however when I did my diy wet/drys and had to silicone the plex to the glass I generally just bought 100% silicone tubes from the lhs. It was a GE brand if that helps. Plus you can get it in black if you like the black silicone look or if not they have it in clear aswell.

Back
Top Bottom