DIY- 75g 2x4 stand!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well since im drilling, ill drill a hole for the return but I think I should drill 2 for the over flow but another question, do I really NEED an overflow box? Or can I just use the bulk heads. Fluffy obviously isnt gonna fit in the holes

I would do 2 in case one of the drains gets clogged. Google bean animal overflow or herbie overflow. You could do your own version.

When I get home late tonight I will post pics of my setup. It's totally ghetto.

Ghetto is the way to go! I like diy thats the main reason im doing this. Gives me a sense of accomplishment and pride for doing it my self and saves me a few dollars here and there.

It depends on how you setup the plumbing behind the tank.

I actually put in an overflow box in the tank to set the water level. Behind the glass is where it gets all ghetto. Behind the tank I used a plastic ice box from target and mounted it to the tank using the bulkheads. The bottom of the plastic has 3 smaller bulkhead each with its own line to my filter. One line is the full siphon with an inline valve. The second is my drip line and the 3rd is my regency in case either of the 2 gets clogged.

Its hard for me to explain. I will post photos tonight for you.

Awesome thank you. Okay so the pump has a 3/4" head on it. Will it mess with the flow if I add a piece to make it 1 1/2"?

Awesome thank you. Okay so the pump has a 3/4" head on it. Will it mess with the flow if I add a piece to make it 1 1/2"?
why would you? I wouldn't add any uneccessary couplings.. It will most likely reduce flow.

It will slow down the velocity (feet per second) of the flow but your flow rate (gallons per hour) should remain the same. I can't remember my fluid mechanics stuff from college but I think that's the case.

In my case, I have. 3/4" outlet on my pump the splits up and ends up going through a pair of 1/2" PVC. Whether I have one plugged or not, the volume of water being moved seems to be the same.

why would you? I wouldn't add any uneccessary couplings.. It will most likely reduce flow.
It will slow down the velocity (feet per second) of the flow but your flow rate (gallons per hour) should remain the same. I can't remember my fluid mechanics stuff from college but I think that's the case.

In my case, I have. 3/4" outlet on my pump the splits up and ends up going through a pair of 1/2" PVC. Whether I have one plugged or not, the volume of water being moved seems to be the same.

I just figured that was a good question before I jump in this. Okay so for a 3/4" pipe I would need a 1" hole and for a 1 1/2" pipe I would need a 2" hole or what? Ive never drilled a tank so bare with me!

Yes, if you're going by inside pipe diameter than the hole will need to be bigger, I'm not positive but I think you get a rubber gasket that creates the glass to pipe seal, you may need to drill according to those sizes.

Yes, if you're going by inside pipe diameter than the hole will need to be bigger, I'm not positive but I think you get a rubber gasket that creates the glass to pipe seal, you may need to drill according to those sizes.

This crap has become complicated! Im gonna use plain ol' schedule 40 pipe so the inside is where the diameter is at and I'm gonna drill accordingly for the outside. Okay so I dont wanna buy 2 drill bits to drill the glass because that adds up and it cost more to tale the tank to be drilled. Im gonna buy 1 bit to drill for the 11/2 pipe so thats a 2 inch bit. Ill do the same for the return but only the top 2" of pipe will be 1 1/2" and the rest will have 3/4 pipe so flow isnt messed with that much at all

Just an fyi to eveyone who is reading this thread. For a 1-1/2" pipe you need a 2-3/8" bit to drill. Pic below

Attachments

• 1394823212724.jpg
    1394823212724.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 54
So I decided I wanna use the 20g long for the sump instead of the buckets. It will cut down on the cost of it and I will only need to get baffles cut. I could probably cut my own using acrylic from home depot but I think ill go with glass.

Now I just need to figure out how to get the tank to fit under there? May have to take the tank off the stand and remove the osb to slide it in there?

Any ideas for that?

Would this work as a sump? Im trying to make it a bit different then normal and I wanna add the filter media in the 2nd chamber and have just water going in the first layer. I have the pipe below water line because it reduces the noise.

Attachments

• 1394850911375.jpg
    1394850911375.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 50
That looks like a good plan. I'm thinking about something similar. Could you put an internal tank filter into the sump instead of the display tank

Having glass cut at a hardware store will prob be cheaper and easier than acrylic anyways, I've tried using acrylic and it warped extremely bad in only a month, wasted $25 and an hour on that lid.. Could you just unscrew those 2 front 2 x4's to create enough room?

No I have to take the tank off the stand and remove the top osb to do anything. Its all a very snug fit. The top is screwed in at multiple points

Yeah it is. You should have seen how I got the tank on the stand. I had the new stand long ways on the side of the old one and i had to stand on the new one while lifting and pulling! I dont know how im gonna get it down! This thing is heavy man

Good luck on your project! And jwh, it won't let me message you back because your inbox is full. So you'll have to delete some message for me to be able to message you back.

Back
Top Bottom