DIY- 75g 2x4 stand!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394897911.675632.jpg

That is the overflow box that I have in the tank

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394897950.990198.jpg

That is the diy box I have mounted behind. It's just a plastic ice box I got at Target.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394897992.143610.jpg

This is the part I was trying to describe in that icebox. The 2 big 1 1/2" bulkheads are fed water from the overflow box in the tank. In the ice box there are 3 bulkheads on the bottom. The middle is my full siphon. The one on the left is my secondary. And the 3rd is my emergency. The PVC is about 1/4" taller then the one in the 2nd bulkhead. The middle bulkhead line has a ball valve further down. To tune it, I set the ball valve full open. Then I start closing it until the water level in the icebox rises to barely trickling into the secondary. And that's how I leave it running. It's extremely quiet. If I didn't have the secondary the middle one would take in air and there would be a loud gurgling sound.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394898277.899719.jpg

This last pic is my filter under the tank. It's just a 3 drawer storage box that I also bought at Target. The top 2 trays are drilled with about 50 holes to form a drip tray. The bottom tray has a 3/4 bulkhead and a pipe going down into the water in my sump (which is a heavy duty storage bin that I bought from Lowes - 20+ gallons). This is to reduce the sound of heavy dripping into the eater in the sump.

It's currently not running because I'm working on cleaning up the routings and cementing the pipe together. But it does work and quite well.

The 1st tray will have porous sponges. The 2nd tray will have my bio-media. The 3rd tray will be completely loaded with filter floss.

I like it! My only problem is that I dont want an overflow box on the inside. Think I can skip it? Sorry need to get my photobucket acct back to post pics

Yeah. You should be able to if you try a box on the outside. You will need to get bulkhead strainers of some kind to go on the tank side.

My fish can fit inside the holes. Its an oscar and thats all I'm gonna have so I shouldnt even need the strainers for the inside

Then you should be good to go.

Do you plan to doing what I did with a box in the back? If so make sure you have it up high enough to set the water depth in your tank. The way I think you want it the tank depth will only be as deep as the holes you drill in.

You can mimic my setup without a box but using just PVC. I would look up the bean animal overflow. His is more elaborate but I'm sure you could make one similar if you understand how his works.

Thats what I was gonna do! I know I should put an over flow to set the water level but I dont wanna. If anything ill use a few street elbows to set the water level

Edit*

Here is what I want exactly

Thanks! Do you see it working? Basically its gonna be the last pic without the overflow tray

There might be a slight change in plans. I think im gonna get x2 AC110's and a sunsun 304B. Thoughts?

Yah j that seems like overkill, don't get me wrong, I over filter all my tanks! What about the canister and one ac110? With a couple circulation fans I the sand bed?

Thats only 1525 gph and thats only 20x turnover rate. Its not alot for an oscar in all honesty. These things are poop machines. Ill take a video of just todays mess he made at 4"

I know they require insanely clean water so whatever you think is best!! They poop more than Pleco's??

Back
Top Bottom