DIY 75g Build: Background, Stand, ect.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The water test proved to be successful so my next step is to start construction on the stand. I was thinking of buying one but constructing a stand on my own allows it to be just the way I want it. Blueprints for that coming soon!

butterfly_koi said:
The water test proved to be successful so my next step is to start construction on the stand. I was thinking of buying one but constructing a stand on my own allows it to be just the way I want it. Blueprints for that coming soon!

Congrats! And yes constructing your own stand is cheaper and sturdier usually and like your said, customization is always nice! How does the background look submerged? I'd do another water test after a couple days of it soaking in the tank just to be safe.

jkdubs2 said:
Congrats! And yes constructing your own stand is cheaper and sturdier usually and like your said, customization is always nice! How does the background look submerged? I'd do another water test after a couple days of it soaking in the tank just to be safe.

The background is on hold for a bit. The next step I have to do is put a coat of epoxy to seal it all in. I'm very anxious to see it submerged but I have to wait a bit longer :(

i'll assume that's a glass tank, are you going to silicone it from the inside?

i've never resealed a tank, i'm curious how it will come out!!!

billberet said:
i'll assume that's a glass tank, are you going to silicone it from the inside?

i've never resealed a tank, i'm curious how it will come out!!!

Yes its resealed from the inside that's how I did my 75. But considering how much needs to be resealed on the 55 I might have to take the side panel off and start from scratch on that side since it needs new silicone in between the glass

You may be able to get away with just the reseal on the inside. Just clean off the silicone really well.

jkdubs2 said:
You may be able to get away with just the reseal on the inside. Just clean off the silicone really well.

Just to be safe i'm going to reseal that outside and inside of the right side of the tank, it has a major leak as in there is no silicone in between the glass on that side. I had no clue it was that bad. Good thing I did a water test outside in the yard!

butterfly_koi said:
Just to be safe i'm going to reseal that outside and inside of the right side of the tank, it has a major leak as in there is no silicone in between the glass on that side. I had no clue it was that bad. Good thing I did a water test outside in the yard!

Yes I learned that the hard way lol

So here's an update, I've done nothing with the tank lol
Guess that's not much of an update. Today I drew a few doodles of what I might want my aquarium stand to look like but these are subject to change :)
Forgive me, my artistic ability is not what it once was

View attachment 104119
I'm looking to build a four door two drawer stand with an added shelf inside.

View attachment 104120
This is my side doodle, i'm planning on adding glass blocks that will have lights installed inside just as a little added touch.

I might just not do this one at all lol I've also have been thinking of just having a two door without the drawers on top but behind the door on the left, that way I could have three drawers that were not visible and the door on the right would have the shelf. Any of this making any sense? :)

Nope I got lost around three doors one shelf. Lol. So did u have any progress on the stand yet?

jkdubs2 said:
Nope I got lost around three doors one shelf. Lol. So did u have any progress on the stand yet?

Nope, there's a little debate going on right now between the husband and I. He wants to build it from scratch, I want to build it from counter cabinets.

i would say start from cabinets. this way you have all the nice trim. if you make it from scratch, unless your a carpenter, it will be hard to get all the fine detail. Don't get me wrong, it can be done, but sometimes it's easier not to reinvent the wheel.

Go the cheap route from scratch so you can make it custom...i did mine came out great and im no carpenter...

billberet said:
i would say start from cabinets. this way you have all the nice trim. if you make it from scratch, unless your a carpenter, it will be hard to get all the fine detail. Don't get me wrong, it can be done, but sometimes it's easier not to reinvent the wheel.

It wouldn't be hard to build one from scratch, we are both wood workers, but I think it would be more cost effective to start with the cabinets

Go for it mine cost me $150.00 to build but the reason was over kill stand ans canopy with leds above and below fancy trim moldings and lots of poly clear to get a glass like shine so its water proof...i made mine out of 4x4s &2x6...didnt need to but its solid....

I say scratch only because it was really fun to build mine. But I think cabinets would be cool to see too!

Back
Top Bottom