DIY Aquarium Lid for 90 Gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Giovann1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone!

Been lurking the forums for a few weeks now.

I was able to score a second hand 90 gallon tank (just needs some TLC) for $50! Trying to figure out a simple (& cheap) DIY lid that would fit this type of top.

I was looking into using the polycarbonate roofing type lid but I'm wondering if it would work well since the sides don't have a lip to hold the polycarbonate in place.

Was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions or anyone out theee who has a tank with a similar style top that could chime in.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-J700H using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1466178760051.jpg
    1466178760051.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 122
  • 1466178772958.jpg
    1466178772958.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 137
  • 1466178785359.jpg
    1466178785359.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 136
I made a top for the 20-gal using the clear acrylic. Polycarbonate would be better (more rigid). It has aluminum angle edges JB welded along the hinge sides with a simple strip of Duck tape for the hinge. Works really well and fits perfectly for materials cost about half the price of a store-bought cover. One of these days I'm going to make a hood for the big tank with wood and a whole-top lid opening with the lights mounted under it. I need more opening space to work with the large pieces of decor that don't fit through the current lid openings.

I made a top for the 20-gal using the clear acrylic. Polycarbonate would be better (more rigid). It has aluminum angle edges JB welded along the hinge sides with a simple strip of Duck tape for the hinge. Works really well and fits perfectly for materials cost about half the price of a store-bought cover. One of these days I'm going to make a hood for the big tank with wood and a whole-top lid opening with the lights mounted under it. I need more opening space to work with the large pieces of decor that don't fit through the current lid openings.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I was looking towards acrylic lids as well but I liked the appeal of the polycarbonate because of the ridges. Was also planning to do a DIY LED light made from PVC roof housing which seems to fit nicely over the top of the polycarbonate roofing. Do you have pics of your lid?

What I'm trying to figure out is what I can do/use to hold the lid from sliding side to side as the edges of the tank on the Width don't have a lip to hold it in place. Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-J700H using Aquarium Advice mobile app

...trying to figure out is what I can do/use to hold the lid from sliding side to side.

My approach would probably be same as my hinge edges - aluminum angle, JB welded on. Home Depot has small stuff that works well for this. The process is very effective as long you get a good bond by aggressively scraping up the mating surfaces. I use coarse sandpaper then a dremel tool with cutoff wheel to carve little X's all the way across the edge. Then you apply the epoxy and several small clamps and wait overnight to cure.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1466190068.998866.jpg

This stuff will weld your polycarbonate together very quickly. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1466190153.791707.jpg

We used it to McGyver together this shelf for my hatchery.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

if your looking for a cheap inexpensive lid egg crate is your best friend .
you can make a top for under $20. , it can be cut with a pair of wire cutters (dykes)
if you are creative you can cut out a opening so you have a functional door , wire ties make nice hinges ,

img_3365821_0_228702a9abbdca1ff7727c60d23bcfb2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom