diy artificial mangrove root

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dingodan

Aquarium Advice Activist
if anyone has ever seen pictures of real mangrove roots they can agree the ornaments found on the market look nothing like the real thing. does anyone know how i could make some of my own? they do not require alot of detail but color and shape need to be correct.

Attachments

• image-2424261562.jpg
    image-2424261562.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 879
if anyone has ever seen pictures of real mangrove roots they can agree the ornaments found on the market look nothing like the real thing. does anyone know how i could make some of my own? they do not require alot of detail but color and shape need to be correct.

Manzanita wood and chopping off all the twigs would look very similar. Especially after having it in the water for a while.

Manzanita wood and chopping off all the twigs would look very similar. Especially after having it in the water for a while.

was just looking into that. issue is that this is going in a reef aquarium. how do i coat the wood to ensure my water ph will not be affected? dark stained epoxy? (id like its color to be a dark brown)

was just looking into that. issue is that this is going in a reef aquarium. how do i coat the wood to ensure my water ph will not be affected? dark stained epoxy? (id like its color to be a dark brown)

No clue ! I just came up with the manzanita off the top of my head

I would bleach it or buy it bleached so it doesn't leach anything. Then spray it with krylon fusion brown, done.

I would bleach it or buy it bleached so it doesn't leach anything. Then spray it with krylon fusion brown, done.

i would think unless i effectively seal it the wood will still rot especially in a marine aquarium.

i would think unless i effectively seal it the wood will still rot especially in a marine aquarium.

Hmm, we'll I think if you spray it with krylon brown, then krylon clear I think you'd be ok. I'd prob do 3 coats paint and 5 clear. It's a tough call with a salt tank though I wouldn't risk it. As much as it sucks you can't scape it the way you want, better to be safe than sorry.

I was doing some reading for you and apparently Plastidip once cured is aquarium/reef safe. I would think once cured the ability for wood to leach would be near impossible if covered in impermeable plastic. Wouldn't hurt to try, I'd get some driftwood and spray it with brown plasti, let it soak for a couple weeks and take some readings to see what happens

I was doing some reading for you and apparently Plastidip once cured is aquarium/reef safe. I would think once cured the ability for wood to leach would be near impossible if covered in impermeable plastic. Wouldn't hurt to try, I'd get some driftwood and spray it with brown plasti, let it soak for a couple weeks and take some readings to see what happens

great idea thanks

while that does seem like the best option for seal coating wood, itll always be on the back of my mind worrying that somehow a piece of it tears and i wont know. best case scenario is professionally made branches no wood involved. how do the professionals do it? it cant be that hard especially for the type i am trying to replicate

while that does seem like the best option for seal coating wood, itll always be on the back of my mind worrying that somehow a piece of it tears and i wont know. best case scenario is professionally made branches no wood involved. how do the professionals do it? it cant be that hard especially for the type i am trying to replicate

I think most aquarium products are made of resin and fiberglass. I'm sure you could call a company to make you something but expect a huge sticker price. Unless your a DIY kind of person it may be more of a hassle

I've been thinking of trying by contorting aquavine into the shape I want.

yea could bend and tie together pieces of aquavine then coat in a dark brown epoxy or plastidip to make it one uniform solid piece. were gettin somewhere

Back
Top Bottom