DIY background opinions please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

severum mama

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm sure lots of you all have seen this article:
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_background.php
I've been wanting to try this for some time now. Has anyone ever tried it? How about in a hex tank? I have a 27 gallon hex sitting in my basement and I've been thinking about doing the concrete background in there for a couple months now. My thought is to make the background narrower on top, about the width of one of the sections, and then have it widen considerably toward the bottom of the tank (so it would maybe take up like the better part of 3 of the glass panels), and to have it come out pretty far into the middle of the bottom of the tank- does that make sense? I think if I could get it to work then it would look really cool and unique, but if I screw it up I may just ruin a perfectly good tank. :roll: If I could put the finished tank into a corner or something, maybe the white styrofoam against the panels of the glass wouldn't be too visible. I guess I would have to make the background in 3 separate sections to accommodate the corners where the glass connects- that would probably be the easiest way, right?

Do you guys think this would work out, or should I just try it in a rectangular tank? :? Any opinions from you DIYers would be appreciated! :D

Oh great now I have another project to do. I really like this project idea. Depending upon your DIY abilities just tackle the hex tank. Seems like you have a plan already so just go with it. Modify as you go. I have a 20 long and 29 sitting in the garage empty so I think I might have a new project as soon as I get the workshop cleaned out. Seems the tutorial is pretty straight forward and doesn't look like it would be too hard.

Just out of curiosity... where do you get your fish Lepomis? Do you know of any LFSs that stock apistogramma? I also live in Indiana, and I've been looking for apistos for over a year and haven't been able to find any. :?

Bueller?

Bueller?

:lol:

Ok guys, this is the only time I will bump this thread before I let it die.

Back
Top Bottom