DIY bow front issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tony

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm planning on seting up a 46g bow front but i cant seem to find any plans to build the stand. I've thought about building a regular square cabinet (with the top piece cut to match the bow) stand but would that take away from the tanks bow?,and would a regular stand support a bow. There is one more thing i've seen pre-built cabinets at home depot for your kitchen or bath with a little extra added suport would this kind of stand work???
Any info would help thankx
TONY

I am working on plans for a stand for my 28 euro(bowfront). It is essentialy a regular rectangular stand and then a front bowed section added to the front. I am going to skin it with a tongue and groove wainscott that I have leftover from my bathroom renovation.

I'm assuming you refering to making a DIY stand for a bow-front? (or are you making a DIY bowfront tank?)

Most folks tend to really over-build DIY stands (nothing wrong with that) my 55SW is currently sitting on an old Dining Room Buffet. Looks great, and there's no problems with it's support (just not much room for equip, but plenty of test kit etc storage space!)

Making a DIY stand for a bow-front I can certainly see as having some design challenges. Not so much in getting it to support the tank, but in coming up with something thats easy to build while still looking appealing. I'll google around and see if anything sparks some ideas.

Do you have any particular style in mind? or is there anything you wand the stand to be able to do or have?

they can if they're of reasonable quality. Be sure the verticle boards are made of solid wood (not particle board) and go all the way to the floor. Don't get anything that rests on legs, it should sit flush on the floor. Find one you like and sit on it. bounce a little bit. It shouldn't budge at all. If it does, I wouldn't use it. remember that a 55 gallon tank can weigh up to 700-800 pounds. The bottom half of This buffet is similar in design to what I have my 55 sitting on.

Back
Top Bottom