DIY Bowfront Canopy Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beachbumin

Aquarium Advice FINatic
It seems like I saw plans here to build a bowfront canopy but I cant find it now. I need to build a canopy for my 29 gallon bowfront because the lighting setup that i bought isnt going to fit right unless hung. Anyone with any DIY experience with bowfront canopys???

for the front piece of wood you will need to get curved wood, and the top wood.. you need to be able to follow the curve pattern.
I haven't done one before, but doing the curve thing is probably going to be hard.

Not necessarily. If you have the tank or stand, you can use it as a template for the curve. The front braces can be sawn to shape, or laminated if you want to be fancy. The facing on the front can be quite thin, and some nice 1/4" ply would easily bend to that radius.

I'm not a woodworker but I know how to design boats, which means I have a pretty good knowledge of how they are built, but don't give me any power tools and expect something pretty!

I am a woodworker, but no nothing of boats,

option #1=Bent wood lamination
use tank to make template...use shape of template to make form...cut enough thin strips of solid wood to bend around form, and = desired thickness...glue strips together around form...work as any piece when dry...

option #2=bending ply
bending ply is a 3 ply plywood made of luan mahogany usually available in 3/8 thickness...by itself,flimsy...stronger when laminated as above....it is more of a core material and should be veneered or covered with plastic laminate.

option #3=Kerf core
kerf core is MDF that has slits about 3/8" apart, and about 2/3 deep into the material allowing it to be bent around the form...can be used just like bending ply...easy to make yourself....should be veneered or covered with plastic laminate.

redswi said:
option #3=Kerf core
kerf core is MDF that has slits about 3/8" apart, and about 2/3 deep into the material allowing it to be bent around the form...can be used just like bending ply...easy to make yourself....should be veneered or covered with plastic laminate.

Just take it slow & easy when bending to shape... it will wait until you're almost done before issuing that sickening CRACK sound.

Nice thanks for the heads up guys! I have a few buddies that may be able to help me out so with any luck I wont hear to many of the cracking sounds and I have built several halfpipes and ramps so bending the wood isnt too big of an issue either (I hope!!!) Once again thank you for all the help.

Back
Top Bottom