DIY canister filter help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

despite

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys, new here. I need help with a filter design for a pond. I have been looking stuff up online and still don't understand a few things. Should i be "pushing" water into a canister filter or "pulling/sucking" it through the filter. The pump I have to use is a Supreme MAG-DRIVE pump,700 GPH, and can be used submersible or in-line. Which is another question I have. should i submerge the pump in the pond or use it in-line. I don't care about looks, I just want the pump to be safe. Also can I have 2 canisters linked in "series". One for coarse filtration and the other for bio-logical media. I don't want them to be in the same canister for two reasons. One being the coarse media will need much more maintenance and cleaning than the bio. Also since this is for a 275 gallon pond a canister filter will have to be quite large. So if have two of them it wont have to be so darn tall. Thanks for reading and I would much appreciate any feed back or in-put.

If the pump were going to be mounted by the canister, I would have it pulling water through just to minimize potential leaks. Plus, that ensures that the water going through the pump is clean, so you will likely get longer pump life. Having said that, depending on the height of the filter above the pond, an in pond pump that pushes water through wont need the priming an above pond external pump would.

If the pump were going to be mounted by the canister, I would have it pulling water through just to minimize potential leaks. Plus, that ensures that the water going through the pump is clean, so you will likely get longer pump life. Having said that, depending on the height of the filter above the pond, an in pond pump that pushes water through wont need the priming an above pond external pump would.

Priming meaning making sure there is water in the filter so when the pump turns on it is not pumping air? Correct me if i'm wrong.

Thanks for the info.

Yup. I'm assuming your pump is an impeller type. If it is, it won't pump air very well, especially if its trying to draw water uphill. Commercial canister filters for an aquarium usually have the pump mounted underneath and inside the canister so the canister acts as a reservoir to keep the impeller submerged. With an inline pump, you won't have that option. As soon as you open a canister to clean it, the water will flow back into the pond, leaving your pump high and dry.

If you wind up needing to mount it inline, you could make a resivoir that sits just above the pump and that has more water volume than the pipe leading up to the pump. That should make it self priming. Just think of how the strainer basket on a pool filter is setup.

Well ive been looking at some things and im seeing that people are saying that bio media increses nitrates and sould only be use in wet/dry filter. If this is the case maybe I should just try to find a pre-made mechanical filter. Seem like people are haveing good luck witn this. It wouod cost me less then my diy solution. What do you think?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0024EFYU6/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_OLY6sb161YE8M

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well ive been looking at some things and im seeing that people are saying that bio media increses nitrates and sould only be use in wet/dry filter. If this is the case maybe I should just try to find a pre-made mechanical filter. Seem like people are haveing good luck witn this. It wouod cost me less then my diy solution. What do you think? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0024EFYU6/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_OLY6sb161YE8M

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yup. I'm assuming your pump is an impeller type. If it is, it won't pump air very well, especially if its trying to draw water uphill. Commercial canister filters for an aquarium usually have the pump mounted underneath and inside the canister so the canister acts as a reservoir to keep the impeller submerged. With an inline pump, you won't have that option. As soon as you open a canister to clean it, the water will flow back into the pond, leaving your pump high and dry.

If you wind up needing to mount it inline, you could make a resivoir that sits just above the pump and that has more water volume than the pipe leading up to the pump. That should make it self priming. Just think of how the strainer basket on a pool filter is setup.
Well ive been looking at some things and im seeing that people are saying that bio media increses nitrates and sould only be use in wet/dry filter. If this is the case maybe I should just try to find a pre-made mechanical filter. Seem like people are haveing good luck witn this. It would cost me less then my diy solution. What do you think?

Amazon.com: TetraPond 26592 SF1 Submersible Flat Box Filter, fits variety of pumps 200 - 2,000 gph: Pet Supplies

Well ive been looking at some things and im seeing that people are saying that bio media increses nitrates and sould only be use in wet/dry filter. If this is the case maybe I should just try to find a pre-made mechanical filter. Seem like people are haveing good luck witn this. It wouod cost me less then my diy solution. What do you think?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0024EFYU6/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_OLY6sb161YE8M

Wow. I'm sorry for all of those being the same thing but it was not showing up so i just tried again and again. Might be a bug with the app and posting on the forums. If any one could tell me how to delete all but one of the repeats that would be great.

It may have been a glitch with the forum, because I didn't get the email saying you'd replied. Anyway......

Bio filter material will increase nitrates, because its supposed to. That's the end process of the nitrogen cycle, and nitrate is far less toxic than its precursors. Plants should help with your water quality, plus if you don't overstock the pond you shouldn't have much to worry about.

I haven't used one of those Tetra filters, so I can't really offer any comment in it. Do you have a local pond/water gardens store in town?

It may have been a glitch with the forum, because I didn't get the email saying you'd replied. Anyway......

Bio filter material will increase nitrates, because its supposed to. That's the end process of the nitrogen cycle, and nitrate is far less toxic than its precursors. Plants should help with your water quality, plus if you don't overstock the pond you shouldn't have much to worry about.

I haven't used one of those Tetra filters, so I can't really offer any comment in it. Do you have a local pond/water gardens store in town?

Okay I have done a lot more reading and i see what you are saying about bio-logical media. I don't believe that my pond will be over stocked, let me know what you you think. A 300 gallon pond with maybe 4 fancy goldfish and maybe a few minnow sized fish is all. Also if frogs from my area like it they might join in. and they will be a fair number of plants I hope. I've still got a lot to learn, but I thank you for helping out and speeding up the learning process for me. :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom