diy canister/sump troubles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tim4072

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i have a a couple of designs. 1 for a sump and 1 for a canister. but i am confused on where the water pump would go in either design and how i extract the water from the aquauim as i dont want to drill it

To get the water out of the tank you need to use an overflow. You can buy or make a HOB model or you can fabricate one to go into your tank and seal it to the tank and the water will flow into there and out a pvc pipe down to your filter. As for getting it back into your tank for the sump version just get a submersible pump and put it in the last compartment of the sump and run a hose back over the top of the tank. As far as a DIY canister I don't know forsure but I'd think you could drill a hole in the bottom of the container you are making your filter out of and pipe it to an external pump and then back up to your tank. Do a search in google or on this board and you will find some very helpful diagrams and directions out there. HTH

i really dont wont to have an overflow box and i dont wont to drill the tank. is there anyway to take water from the tank run in through the canister and put it back in the tank. i see several people have metioned a pvc overflow? what is this?

Back
Top Bottom