DIY co2 7gallon tank setup...help !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JavaMoss

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey there I have a planted tank that has only been up and running for a week now. I have driftwood, moss ball, java moss and java fern on coconut and a few others. Oh and I have 6 neon tetras ( great hardy fish ). Anyway straight to the point I want a co2 injection system to keep my plants green and healthy. Now I have looked on eBay and I have seen a nano glass ceramic diffuser and I want to hook this up to a DIY co2 yeast bottle.

Would this setup be ok taking into account tank size and palnts etc... Hope you all can help me.

Btw I attachment my tank and the nano co2 diffuser.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110623_070430.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110623_070430.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 109
  • 56b7_1.jpg
    56b7_1.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 158
You don't need CO2 injection for java moss, java fern, and a moss ball. They'll do fine and thrive without it!

Rosenweiss said:
You don't need CO2 injection for java moss, java fern, and a moss ball. They'll do fine and thrive without it!

He mentioned he had a few others, but I'd have to agree. All those plants are low-tech and low light, add an airstone and some good surface agitation and you should be good

11 watts on a 7 gallon tank should be just fine for those low-light plants and shouldn't need CO2 diffusion. =]

But in any case, you can check plantgeek.net and see if your plants are low-light and what kinds you should stick to.

Ok many thanks. I will go to that website and have a look. I light still consider one just to keep them green. Thanks ever so much for your help

JavaMoss said:
Yes as far as I know its a 11w watt bulb. And did you suggest me having an airstone rather than a co2 injection. Many thanks

Yeah, in a non injected co2 tank, an airstone would actually be a good way to have good gas exchange, therefore actually increasing the amount of co2 being absorbed.

shadowstars123 said:
Yeah, in a non injected co2 tank, an airstone would actually be a good way to have good gas exchange, therefore actually increasing the amount of co2 being absorbed.

So would an airstone increase plant growth and keep them green ?

JavaMoss said:
So would an airstone increase plant growth and keep them green ?

Well it'd help if there was no injected co2, but yeah, an airstone is better than not having anything. But it doesn't change that most of your plants are slow growers, so I dont think you'd see an improvemet

shadowstars123 said:
Well it'd help if there was no injected co2, but yeah, an airstone is better than not having anything.

Why do you say it would better without a co2 injector. Sorry I ask so many questions I'm new to the whole co2 buisness

JavaMoss said:
Why do you say it would better without a co2 injector. Sorry I ask so many questions I'm new to the whole co2 buisness

Oh, I'm sorry if you understood wrong, but injected co2 is definitely better than an airstone, I'm just saying that there's really no need for the co2, as your plants wouldn't change in growth much because they're still all slow growing plants

shadowstars123 said:
Oh, I'm sorry if you understood wrong, but injected co2 is definitely better than an airstone, I'm just saying that there's really no need for the co2, as your plants wouldn't change in growth much because they're still all slow growing plants

Aug ok I understand now. So in a nutshell your saying that co2 is good but it wouldn't benefit my type of plans as they are slow growing ? Many thanks

JavaMoss said:
Aug ok I understand now. So in a nutshell your saying that co2 is good but it wouldn't benefit my type of plans as they are slow growing ? Many thanks

Yep, the outcome wouldn't be worth the effort of refilling the diy co2 every week.

Back
Top Bottom