DIY CO2 failing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flushingfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I set up my DIY CO2 2 nights ago. I have 2- 2 liter bottles rigged together going into a T connection from the T I ahve a check valve to prevent any backflow. The airline is run into the intake of my HOB filter.
My recipe for the CO2 is
2 cup of sugar
1 TBS molasses
1/4 teaspoon yeast

per bottle. I checked temperatures and proofed the yeast before putting it into the bottles. Sugar was dissolved in the water and molasses and added to the bottles at 80F. Last night I had some foaming but it never built enough pressure to start expelling CO2.
This morning I see no foaming.
I also have installed before the T valve a 2way adjustable valve that is typically used on air pumps to adjust flow. I put this in because I thought it would help regulate pressure in the bottles and keep a positive flow.

So I guess my question, given all the above info, is why isn't it working? Did I miss something? I know how to treat yeast and how to proof it and make sure it's alive so I don't get it?

If there are no bubbles but the bottles are under pressure (squeeze test), you have a check valve in backwards (something's gonna blow!).

If there is no pressure on the system whatsoever, you have probably developed a leak.

I did the squeeze test. The check valve is in correctly. I'm thinking at this point it might be the 2 way valves. They are adjustable and may be the source of the leak. I will probably have to replace them with check valves instead. Or I will have to redrill new caps and reseal again.
Anyone else think it couldbe the 2 way valves?

how have you sealed the caps? we used a load of hot glue to seal on the inside and outside and they seal great.

The caps were sealed with silicone. I changed the 2 way valves for standard check valves last night when I got home and lo and behold 2 bubbles per second right away. Apparently I was right for once and those adjustable valves were leaking the CO2 out of the system.
Now everything is right as rain.

Just in time too...2 days without CO2 and I noticed a small amount of algae starting to grow. Hopefully it stops now.

My thanks to those who answered my post.

Back
Top Bottom