DIY CO2 How much bubbles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taiken5968

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Built a DIY co2 injector that I saw on YouTube. I am wondering how much bubbles should I be letting go into the aquarium. I only have a few plants.

Attachments

• image-4012492500.jpg
    image-4012492500.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 118
  • image-2493494885.jpg
    image-2493494885.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 101
Built a DIY co2 injector that I saw on YouTube. I am wondering how much bubbles should I be letting go into the aquarium. I only have a few plants.

1-2 bps would be good. I'd have the airstone go into the impeller of the filter, so it chops the bubbles up.

1-2 bps would be good. I'd have the airstone go into the impeller of the filter, so it chops the bubbles up.

I thought about that, but I do have some fine bubbles coming out under the water outlet. I'll try that though.

I have a problem with plants dying, even though I have fertilizer. I make sure to get low light plants.

I have the one bottle going in each tank. One of my setups has a small one way valve joining the bottle to the airstone and it produces continuous micro bubbles you can't see more than about 3cm away from or from the surface of the tank. The second setup releases bubbles about every 15 seconds but they are massive bubbles and run for about 5 second bursts. I prefer the small bubble set up and will be replacing the airstone and adding the one way valve. I'm fairly new to planted tanks but i'd say that if you get new growth from your plants then you are doing well enough. So far my 2litre bottles have worked well in a 20G tank.

Maybe you could check to see if your lighting is the issue by taking one of the dying plants out of the substrate and floating it near the light for a few days. If that plant in particular perks up while the others keep dropping off then maybe upgrade your lighting set up or look for bulbs that give better wavelengths that your plants can use. I was running 20 watt 5000k bulbs which looked bright to me but someone told me that 5500k or higher is better for the plants even if it doesn't seem as bright to me. I found some triphosphate t8 bulbs that give out 6400k and i think it has helped my plants a little in the last week since i bought them. Hard to judge though. Nothing is dieing in my tank even with the old lights. I'd say you are getting enough bubbles if you aren't heavily planted from the picture but my experience is about 1.5 months with planted tanks so i have limited knowledge.

Well hopefully the CO2 bottles help out the plants that are failing. Good luck with them and sorry i can't be more helpful.

Back
Top Bottom