DIY Corner Overflow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zer0

is back to save the day!
Alright, i'm deciding that instead of using the stupidly small overflow box that the glass-holes kit comes with, i'm going to make my own corner flow, because i now how i can integrate my rock structure with the sides of the overflow.

So now my question is, would this be a good sheet to use? I know i can use acrylite because it says this is the best acrylic to use for overflows on melevs site.. I'm just wondering if this thickness is ok for an overflow:

ACRYLITE® FF (extruded) Black 9M001 GT

It's pretty cheap as well, so i would probably get a few pieces just incase i mess up lol. Also, what does it mean by (extruded)?

Last edited by a moderator:
it seems really thin but i have seen people use milk jugs as an over flow so i dont see how this wouldnt work

Yeah it is pretty thin.. but this place has the best prices for this size and type of acrylic. Not sure.. maybe i'll accumulate a little more feedback first.

thats the only thing I see with it is that its a little under 1/8" and might bow/break its seal. I think that the overflows that come in aquariums are that thin but they are made of PVC I believe (might be abs) and that is more rigid than acrylic How tall is your tank?

Yep. I'm really considering this corner overflow idea, but i've yet to find the necessary material for it, and i honestly have no clue how the plumbing would work within a corner overflow. Would i have to drill the bottom of the tank? Or could i just drill the side of the tank like normal, and just have the bulkhead below the water line in the overflow.

Yeah.. i really want to do an overflow setup so i can use a sump, but i'm not sure i will. I might just want the tank by itself, and since it's so small.. i wouldn't really have any regrets doing so. But i still really want to setup a sump lol.

I am not sure how you would do it. I would assume either way would work, the only thing is puting a hole so close to the edge on the side that I would worry about cracking. Someone with more experience with drilling glass tanks will have to chime in.

Meh.. good point. Didn't think of that. I hope someone will chime in :(

Back
Top Bottom