DIY Custom lighting/hood for a 24 gallon Hex tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlederma

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I got a free 24 gallon hex tank and I am in the process of building a custom stand/hood and filtration system.

I plan to set up a fresh water planted community tank but I don't want to mess around with hard to grow plants, nor with those that require CO2 and other fancy treatment.

I will have a large (4-5 gallon) custom sump under the tank full of pot scrubbies and filter sponges to act as my filter and the goal is to have enough plants that between the two I can have something along the lines of 8-10 rasboras, 3-5 cory cats and a dwarf gourami or 2.

All of that is a long way of explaining that I need to build custom lighting for my tank. I want to do LEDs, keep it as inexpensive as possible and of course it has to fit in a hex shaped hood, that is only 9.25 inches per side on a tank that is 21 inches tall.

What color spectrum lights do I need and about how many total lumens of light should I be putting in?

Back
Top Bottom