DIY Driftwood Help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Love2Fish

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I went to the creek down the road a ways and walked in a bit and got a few pieces of driftwood which I hope will be ok for my tank. I am planning on getting a clown pleco sometime so I want to have it set up so it is easy for him to adapt. I came home with 3 pieces and a big piece of slate. Scrubbed the slate a little and put it in and it started making a mess so I took it out and decided against it, as I got thinking it will take up too much room as there will barely be enough for the driftwood when I get that in there. I boiled the three pieces, one was sticking out of the pot so I boiled for an hr on one side and an hr and 15 or so on the other. The other smaller pieces I boiled for a little over 2 hrs each. After I rinsed, then put some hot water in a cooler and stuck the three pieces in it. The biggest piece one half sinks and the other is floating, the other two, one floats and one sinks. I took some pics. Are these pieces ok to add to my tank eventually? Can I put the piece in that sinks soon? I know I am supposed to rinse and change the water in the cooler every day or so if I can. Any other advice? Thanks

If you know the creek you got them from is free of pollutants / dumped chemicals ... then I'd say your in good shape. Chances are it will continue to leach tannins into the water ... but it the nature of the beast. Tannins wont harm your fish but make your tank look like a transparent teapot. One final step you could do is give it a good wash in the dishwasher ... minus the dirty dishes and detergent of course:D. After that I'd say they'll be as ready as an be ... but your probably have to anchor the floaters to rocks or decor.

ok, the big piece was sunk this morning when I got up. The other one is probably going to float for awhile, it's light. We don't have a dish washer, otherwise I would prob do that. Guess I just got lucky to find some that was already under water mostly. I will wait and take pictures when I get everything in my tank and Mostly stocked. I think I'm getting some tetras this weekend and then probably the pleco the following weekend, and gourami last. Then I will have a little room if I decide I want to get some more of something or a different fish in the future

Sometimes it takes months to stop turning it a T color. Someone posted on here a lazy man's unique way of soaking smaller pieces. I have tried it and it works great. Just put it in the back tank of your toilet. its potable water and u get frequent water changes

Ok, nice. Thanks! I mean I wouldn't mind a little tanning I expect it I just don't want anything thats going to be harmfull to the fish or make it so it gets hard to see all the time

Its not harmful to fish at all. If u put some carbon (or polyfil) in the filter it will take the brown color out

Now this is just me and I'm no expert. I would boil it more time and pop it in the tank. But I'm always jumping the gun on things. Plus I kind of like a little darker water. It looks more natural.

i have a question on diy driftwood, ive bean soaking the driftwood and it still floats but it hasnt changed the water color at all i do daily water change and i add salt, does anybody know what else can i do to make them sink faster, i have a brick holding them down

i dont i have one that can boil about 75 percent of it amnd maybe i can just flip it after it boild the 75 percent, also im gonna use the dishwasher on it too

Back
Top Bottom