DIY foam background

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it looks incredible. The rock looks so real. I love the lighting too, I love everything about it. I can't wait to see it with fish in there, please keep the thread updated. What's the stock plan??

Thank you :)

Its a Tanganyikan community tank. So far it houses 7 gold compressiceps, 5 male leptosoma (jumbo (black bee)), a bristlenose and a handful of mystery snails. The original plan was frontosa. I had/have 10 young kigoma lined up but I had changed my mind about those until yesterday. My best mate purchased breeding colony of 9 F1 Moba and they are absolutely STUNNING. So I'm definitely getting frontosa at some stage. I think I might be 'baby-sitting' a colony of ventralis in the near future also. So the stock plan is changing constantly but I will keep the thread updated as I add/remove fish.

Shamazing well done you, your very talented, after Xmas I'm going to start pestering my husband for a bigger tank, if love to keep marine, but it looks to complicated, plus I've still lots to learn about tropical

Nice job! This is something one would see in public, well funded aquariums. The steps and pics were very descriptive. Thanks for providing those. I think others will be inspired to create beautiful and interesting backgrounds as a result of this thread.

Shamazing well done you, your very talented, after Xmas I'm going to start pestering my husband for a bigger tank, if love to keep marine, but it looks to complicated, plus I've still lots to learn about tropical

Thank you :) I'm lucky. My husband has reached the point of almost not caring lol. We looked at marine for this tank but I was unwilling to take it all on myself and he wouldn't research :/

Nice job! This is something one would see in public, well funded aquariums. The steps and pics were very descriptive. Thanks for providing those. I think others will be inspired to create beautiful and interesting backgrounds as a result of this thread.

Thank you :) I certainly hope it inspires other people to create there own!

great Job I am abt to start one for my 75g tank but trying to find ways around the leaching one thing I was looking into was the Krylon Fusion texture paint it supposedly is aquarium safe and there is another krylon product called "Make It Stone" I am waiting to hear if anyone has tried that. For attaching it I am going to use Rare Earth Magnets instead of Silicone that way I dont have the mess to clean up if I ever change it or need to remove for some reason

Any smaller scale projects like this one for a 20 gallon u could think of?

This is our smaller project. Similar to the one in thread, but for a 20g

Attachments

• image-2963380812.jpg
    image-2963380812.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 272
  • image-1899192190.jpg
    image-1899192190.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 281
This is our smaller project. Similar to the one in thread, but for a 20g

Looks great!

great Job I am abt to start one for my 75g tank but trying to find ways around the leaching one thing I was looking into was the Krylon Fusion texture paint it supposedly is aquarium safe and there is another krylon product called "Make It Stone" I am waiting to hear if anyone has tried that. For attaching it I am going to use Rare Earth Magnets instead of Silicone that way I dont have the mess to clean up if I ever change it or need to remove for some reason

How is your project going? Have you looked into pond sealers? Here in Aus they come in a variety of colours and are fish safe.

image-312677207.jpg

image-3344275364.jpg

Bit hard to see in pics but there's some nice green algae growing on the rocks. I'm purposefully leaving the lights on longer to try and get it to grow.

image-3993384790.jpg

And a ring in from my Malawi tank. He was being beaten up so he's on holidays for a while :)

my project was scrapped due to wife wanting a regular put on back one rofl but I am starting a new one then will let it set in a tub and leech out for a while changing water every day then will eventually seal it with sealer. I did do a fast and dirty one to show ppl how I used to use Carpet padding in my taxidermy business. this new one will utilize all the different techniques to see how combining them will come out. I will use my foam padding and the beaded foam and melting the edges to smooth them out, and spray on foam and covering in concrete and painting with acrylics and anything else I can come up with for adding.

here is a picture of the foam padding one I did it took me 5 mins to make and just sporayed texture paint on it. I would have coated with concrete but this was a fast and dirty shopt to show how you can use free carpet backing scraps that carpet stores happy to give you to make one. the paint isnt solid you can see some foam padding just remember it was a this is how it comes out type thing

cliff-05.jpg

cliff-07.jpg

now after you concrete the padding you can use a sponge to give it texture some more before it sets up and if you make it thick enough you can go in the back and take out most the foam rubber and use a dremel tool to cut openings in the front and silicone tubing to the back for caves and add some concrete to the back to seal off the remaining foam rubber and seal the tubes toi the cave this gives a lighter weight hollowed out unit

It's been a looong time! Background is still going strong. Haven't encountered any problems with it at all. After my marriage breakdown I had to move house and this tank held my Malawis for many months. I've recently sold them all off and changed over to South Americans. Tank currently has 11 young geophagus 'orange head' tapajos, blue rams, SAE, bristlenose, chocolate plec and L002.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404941486.012432.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404941522.795655.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404941556.870171.jpg

Looks freaking incredible!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How long did you let it cure before adding your fish?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Looks freaking incredible!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you

How long did you let it cure before adding your fish?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If I remember correctly I let the cement dry for 2-3 days then painted the 3 coats of pond sealer over two days. Let it cure for 2-3 days, filled the tank and let it sit over night, emptied it, moved it upstairs then filled and added fish.

Back
Top Bottom