DIY halide fixture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marshmallowe

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've had my aquarium running for a while and added a very nice Percula Clown Fish and wanted an anemone but I knew my lighting wasn't nearly as good as it needs to be to support a nice anemone. So I got a cordynactycs Anemone. It was doing fine but my mom as a present got me a rather expensive long tentacle anemone.... I've only had it for 2 days and you can tell it's not happy (I only have 30 watts in my 10 gallon) And I had to explain to her I can't keep him or he will die. So I am taking him to my local salt water store tomorrow. My question is it has inspired me to get a better light fixture and Halides seem to be the best. Once I get a job again here in a bit I want to make a halide hood. Before I had heard the rule of the thumb was 4 watts per gallon but I assume this doesn't apply to anemones and hard corals? So I was doing research and I know I need a ballast, sockets and all that jazz. But has anyone built a halide hood and could give me some guide through?

A 10g tank is too small for metal halide lighting. It will heat the water too much. Look into a good T5HO fixture.

Back
Top Bottom