DIY Hex Sump/Refug

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZLogic

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey y'all! I'm planning on building my own sump because finding a decent sump to fit my available space has been quite the challenge. I recently came across a 45gal hex at 19.5x22.5x24" and the stand underneath is nearly identical. I drew up a plan for a hex shaped sump to fit underneath. I haven't seen any other shaped sumps like this so it may be an innovation of sorts. I've read that a 10 gal sump would be tight spaced to run a refuge with. I've determined that a sump with 8.5" sides a length of 16" and width of 15" and height of 12" would give me an estimated 18gal sump. One question I have is: would 1/8" thich acrylic would hold up for the job? Any comments are greatly appreciated!

I think the real question, rather, is whether or not the way you bond together the acrylic will hold up

Weld On 3 seems to be the best way to go. I see a lot of designs use 3/16" acrylic and I was asking if 1/8" was still ok to use because it's readily available right now.

Back
Top Bottom