DIY Hood nightmare

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Electrobes

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I should have known this would happen... I made a great DIY hood and when I brought it back here to put it on the 38 gallon... it is off by about a 1/4 of an inch. Can someone please tell me how I can fix this so it can fit on the tank. I am very close to just sanding an 1/8 of an inch on both sides of the plastic border on the top of the tank to fit the freakin' hood. Thanks all, this is much appreciated... if you wanna know how much appreciated look in the general discussion for freshwater/brackish forum under bad day for an aquariumanist. :cry: Thanks again

IF you have access to a router, you can trim an 8th off of the inside. Make a few passes and take it down to a 1 1/2" band...so it covers the trim

That would be my suggestion as well. Or if you don't have a router to sand the inside of the hood, I would leave the tank's plastic frame alone. If you're any good with a chisle, and you have a nice sharp one, you could use a chisle to remove the majority of the material first, then sand smooth. Practice on a few pieces of scrap wood first before going to town on your actual hood! :eek:)

chisle route or sand

you could try getting a sanding wheel attachment for your drill and just grinding away on both sides of the hood until it slips over your tank

an 1/8th inch shouldn't take long at 3500 rpm ;) ... of course a router would do it faster and look nicer, and a chisle would look a lot better but take forever unless you're that guy from "Old Yankee Workshop"

did you get your hood fitted yet? how about some pics to share? :)

I'd say use the router. If you don't have one, maybe a friend does? I think it'll give you the neatest job and the greatest degree of precision.

Back
Top Bottom