DIY Java Moss PVC Cave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MartinBlank

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok this seems pretty straightforward but before I venture down this road I figured I run it by everybody to see if I am missing something stupid. Then again what I want to do is probably so common you'll roll your eyes and say "DUH"

Anyway. Normal DIY PVC cave. But instead of gluing sand or rocks to the outside to hide it,I was thinking about taking some sort of mesh (hairnet? plastic mesh?) and covering the PVC with that, with some Java Moss underneath it.

I am hoping that the moss will spread to cover the whole thing and make a nice mossy little cave.

It seems pretty straightfoward. Am I missing something?

Wouldn't the Java Moss be able to hold on to the hair net / mesh though?

I know people cover smooth rocks with hair net and it works (or even the Java Moss wall using nothing but mesh folded over on itself), figured this would be similar.

MartinBlank said:
Wouldn't the Java Moss be able to hold on to the hair net / mesh though?

I know people cover smooth rocks with hair net and it works (or even the Java Moss wall using nothing but mesh folded over on itself), figured this would be similar.

If you left the netting in place it will. I removed the netting from my moss covered rock, but it has a rough surface.

Ah gotcha. I had planned on leaving the netting in place (similar to the Java Moss walls I have seen).

I am assuming that eventually the java moss will grow through the mesh enough that you basically won't even be able to see it?

If not, that puts a bit of a wrench into the plan :)

Not really, you can use sand paper and a knife to get that smooth surface damaged enough so the moss will attach to it. Sand it and scratch it the moss will attach.

+1 ^ Rough it up really well to give the moss something to grab on to, imo. Cover with the mesh long enough for it to hold on and then you can remove it. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Back
Top Bottom