DIY Lava Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lightupthedarkness30

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Tried looking for how to make lava rock safe to put in the tank and couldn't find anything, I was hoping you guys would know how or have experience doing it. I picked up a bunch for free just outside. I can post pictures of the rock of that is important. Thanks for any and all help

When it comes to lava rock you cannot boil it, it will explode because air can get trapped in the tiny crevices. Just scrub the rock real good (no soaps) and put it in a bucket with hot water and let it soak for a few days.

butterfly_koi said:
When it comes to lava rock you cannot boil it, it will explode because air can get trapped in the tiny crevices. Just scrub the rock real good (no soaps) and put it in a bucket with hot water and let it soak for a few days.

Thanks! I've heard of people adding vinegar? Would that do anything?

Vinegar is used as a test to see how acidic the rock is, any time you add a rock or anything natural to an aquarium pour vinegar on it first. If it bubbles its acidic and probably not the best idem to add to an aquarium because it can change the levels in the water. For example limestone, it will bubble with the vinegar test and will raise things like the Ph in the tank. Lava rock is a neutral stone and should not bubble but does have to be cleaned and soaked throughly because the little crevices will harbor bacteria.

Anytime you add natural things to the tank you should keep a close eye on the water levels (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, Ph) to make sure the item is not changing the chemistry in the water.

Vinegar (acetic acid) is not used to test a rocks "acidity". Vinegar is typically used to test for calcium carbonate containing rocks.

Lepomis said:
Vinegar (acetic acid) is not used to test a rocks "acidity". Vinegar is typically used to test for calcium carbonate containing rocks.

Alright let me correct myself here,
Rocks such as limestone can contain CaCO3 which can cause the Ph in the water to rise, CaCO3 is an alkali compound which acts as a neutralizer to the acid (vinegar), when an acid is poured on the rock the calcium carbonate neutralizes the acid therefore making it bubble.
Sorry its been forever and a day since science class :)

butterfly_koi said:
Alright let me correct myself here,
Rocks such as limestone can contain CaCO3 which can cause the Ph in the water to rise, CaCO3 is an alkali compound which acts as a neutralizer to the acid (vinegar), when an acid is poured on the rock the calcium carbonate neutralizes the acid therefore making it bubble.
Sorry its been forever and a day since science :)

Haha, no problem, thanks for all the help!

Back
Top Bottom