DIY led lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's a sweet set up! If mine was against the wall I'd do that but it's on an angle

The difference between the 48d/48p is one is digital and one is pulse width modulation if you have the reef keeper and plan on using the alc module with it you need the 48p

Sps will grow under blue and white leds but youll never achieve the best coloration of an sps without uv
This is not true. This is opinion.
Taken from Live Aquaria, who probably copied and pasted it from somewhere else-
Color change due to UV light
In nature, ultraviolet light waves (UV-A and UV-B) penetrate the ocean's surface but are filtered out as the light travels through the water. Both UV-A and UV-B light waves have been found to cause destruction of DNA and RNA within coral tissue. In response, many corals have made adaptations to reduce the effects of these harmful rays. These corals developed protective pigments that are often blue, purple, or pink in color. Most corals that contain these pigments come from shallow waters where the amount of UV-A and UV-B light is higher than in deeper areas of the reef.
In home reef aquariums that rely on metal halide lighting, it is important to protect corals from UV light. Coral without these protective pigments as well as shallow water corals that may have lost their pigments during transportation are especially susceptible to the effects of UV light. Fortunately, preventing any UV light from entering the aquarium is as simple as employing glass aquarium canopies and making sure the protective glass lens on the metal halide fixture is properly installed.-
end quote

Another reference:
Ultraviolet Light, Marine Aquariums and Coral Reef Aquarium Tank, Stand, Canopy, and Aquarium Filter System
"
Coral Coloration and UV Radiation
It is quite popular to believe that increased coral coloration is a response, at least in part, to UV radiation. Our experiences indicate that some corals will turn green as a response to increased UV. However, we have observed many corals (especially Acroporids, Pocilloporids, etc) exhibiting vivid coloration when maintained for years under conditions of practically no UV (~1 µW UV-A; <1 µW UV-B). Figures 12 and 13 show two Acropora specimens maintained under such low UV levels (however, visible light – PAR – levels were quite high)."

the result, taken from the above link-
"Our experiences suggest that coral coloration is a response to PAR levels, not UV. In short, we find no reason to subject reef aquaria to high UV levels. "

Last edited:
Another reference:
Ultraviolet Light, Marine Aquariums and Coral Reef Aquarium Tank, Stand, Canopy, and Aquarium Filter System
"
It is quite popular to believe that increased coral coloration is a response, at least in part, to UV radiation. Our experiences indicate that some corals will turn green as a response to increased UV. However, we have observed many corals (especially Acroporids, Pocilloporids, etc) exhibiting vivid coloration when maintained for years under conditions of practically no UV (~1 µW UV-A; <1 µW UV-B). Figures 12 and 13 show two Acropora specimens maintained under such low UV levels (however, visible light – PAR – levels were quite high)."

I agree this is my opinion but my opinion is based on an experiment i did using bridgelux leds white and blue vs cree leds white and blue with addition of uv i took a frag from same colony placed one under one light one under the other in the same fragtank within a month the one under the cree fixture was way brighter green with deeper purple tips so this is what led me to that opinion i used bridgelux for about 6 months and since i did this lil test ive switched to the cree fixture so ya its opinion but its what works for me and im just sharing i do believe that sps coral recieve uv light in nature and is beneficial again this is my opinion not backed by anything other than what works for me

I agree this is my opinion but my opinion is based on an experiment i did using bridgelux leds white and blue vs cree leds white and blue with addition of uv i took a frag from same colony placed one under one light one under the other in the same fragtank within a month the one under the cree fixture was way brighter green with deeper purple tips so this is what led me to that opinion i used bridgelux for about 6 months and since i did this lil test ive switched to the cree fixture so ya its opinion but its what works for me and im just sharing i do believe that sps coral recieve uv light in nature and is beneficial again this is my opinion not backed by anything other than what works for me

And from what you just posted it said they had acros with good color from low uv not no uv

And from what you just posted it said they had acros with good color from low uv not no uv

Im sorry it said practically no uv which leads me to believe there was in fact at least some uv and im not sayin its impossible by any means its just been my experience

Another reference:
"

"Our experiences suggest that coral coloration is a response to PAR levels, not UV. In short, we find no reason to subject reef aquaria to high UV levels. "

But good read none the less very helpful information thank you

Another reference:
"

Ive read alot of your posts and obviously you have extended amount of experience with some time under your belt what do you think about rtn ? Ive encountered this for the first time yesterday

Sorry I didn't see this until today, but RTN is a mystery. It happens from many different things. The most common being Alk swings and temp swings.

Sorry I didn't see this until today, but RTN is a mystery. It happens from many different things. The most common being Alk swings and temp swings.

Alk is pretty stable ill keep an eye on temp

just finished up reading through all 4 pages and it was awesome. glad to see you are enjoying the benefits of led lighting now. cant wait till ican make the jump to led

Back
Top Bottom