DIY LED lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MMantelli

Aquarium Advice Addict
This ones for phishfriend and Jasoncwrd2002. Sorry it took so long.
I've been seeing a lot of questions about DIY led lights so i figured id put this together for y'all. Here is a list of what I used with the links to where I got them and then all the pictures and even a link to an instructional video (not mine) on how to solder the pieces together. So go grab some popcorn:popcorn:sit back and enjoy the read.

1 5m roll of waterproof 3528 blue led lights (the 5050 are brighter) $14.00
waterproof 5 m led strip | eBay

1-led controller (dimmer switch) $5.00
led dimmer | eBay

1 120-12v 2a/2000Ma adapter $4.00
led dimmer | eBay

1 Tube elctronics solder $0 already had
Soldering iron just a cheap one if you use a too powerful one it can fry the strip

1 stick 1x3/4" wood $0 already had it laying around
1 roll electrical tape $0 already had
Some small zip ties $0 already had laying around

The first thing I did was figure out how many runs I wanted i went with 3 but in hindsight I would have rather used 2. I did 2 runs on my 20 and it was a lot better at night since it is in my bedroom. I can always take electrical tape and tape every 4th set off or something like that.

Next I made the mount for the strips to mount to the top of my tank and painted it black.
67188-albums12145-picture54807.jpg

67188-albums12145-picture54808.jpg

While that was drying i watched this video on how to solder these strips together.

I measures out 3 runs of leds and cut them 2" shorter than my tank. I did that to leave enough room for the legs and the connections I would be soldering soon.

I soldered the strips together (refer back to the video) and attached them to the mount with zip ties (the strips have 3m sticky on the back but I didn't trust it being over water) then electrical taped the ends where wire and solder was exposed.
67188-albums12145-picture54809.jpg

67188-albums12145-picture54810.jpg

Next I soldered the controller to the strips I used this controller due to the slimness of it.
67188-albums12145-picture54801.jpg

I had originally ordered this one but it was just too bulky and what not so I used it as a controller for a hallway light i made with the what i had left over after making the lights for the tanks.
67188-albums12145-picture54805.jpg

After that I soldered the power supply to the other end of the controller. I jacked the power supply from my old wi-fi router as it was the correct rating.
67188-albums12145-picture54804.jpg

this one i bought online for the other tank and the hallway nightlight.
67188-albums12145-picture54806.jpg

Last edited:
PART 2

The finished product.
67188-albums12145-picture54802.jpg

67188-albums12145-picture54803.jpg

Both lights and nightlights on.Notice the blue hue.
67188-albums12145-picture54797.jpg

Main lights off but flash on camera on.
67188-albums12145-picture54798.jpg

Cranked all the way up.(this is a few shades brighter than in person)
67188-albums12145-picture54798.jpg

Turned all the way down.
67188-albums12145-picture54800.jpg

Well I Hope this helps some people out there. Mabey if this is good enough it might become a sticky. (y):brows:(y):brows:(y)

And any critiques are welcome i will be building one of these for every FW tank I will be getting. I would love to hear how you would improve on the design as this was my first one i would like every one I make to be better than the last.:thanks::thanks::thanks:

Lol never got a chance to look off your thread but was just browsing DIY projects and came across it. Looks awesome might have to give it a run. I have never soldered anything tho

Lol never got a chance to look off your thread but was just browsing DIY projects and came across it. Looks awesome might have to give it a run. I have never soldered anything tho

I've never soldered anything like that either it took me a couple practice trys to get it but once I did it was came walk. Just make sure the points do not touch and your good.

I can't tell if your tank has a brace in the middle or not, but mine does, would I be able to use one controller for two strips? So I can do one on each side?

I can't tell if your tank has a brace in the middle or not, but mine does, would I be able to use one controller for two strips? So I can do one on each side?

I have a brace and if you Sid 2 strips you would have to have 2 controllers.

Back
Top Bottom