diy LEDs for reef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

waffle

Aquarium Advice Activist
Anyone know how to make diy LEDs for a 125g 6'x18"x2' reef what will i need?

That is a large project may want to start small first for a test run. Or do this

I am building a 135g reef tank currently and am thinking about building my own led. I have already built a custom led for my 47g column tank. You can search for the thread the thread is name budget DIY led experiment , I am pleased with how it turned out, but a 6ft tank is a big difference.

I am thinking about using maybe 3x 100w emitters or 6 x 50w emitters. . Maybe look into something along those lines.
Like this :
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=271005904826&index=8&nav=SEARCH&nid=69569477568

I used 10w hybrid blue and white emitters on my 47g, I initially had 9 emitters and I later added 3 more for a total of 120w. Here's a pic.

image-3220612411.jpg

image-2788040202.jpg

I also have a dimmer on mine so in the pic they are dimmed down as low as they would go, they are blinding cranked up, like will permanently damage your eyes bright.

Here's a full tank shot with my DIY LEDs on to give you an idea of the color, although the color is different in real life.

image-3406046034.jpg

Thanks guys for the suggestions. Btw awesome looking tank... I also was looking into software programs to control the leds, I've seen some reef fixtures with features like sunrise and sunset and even lightning, I was looking into software that dj's would use at partys for the lighting effects. any thoughts about this?

Thanks, it's kinda in disarray I'm putting some rock in the bottom of the 47g when I see nice pieces at the lfs for the 135g,

About the controllers check out arduino or a rasberry pi, they are cheap little computers that can do a lot of stuff, fairly cheaply. I think their both around $50.

I read a little about the arduino. it looks like a cool piece of technology but will it be able to control that many LEDs also it looks really complicated compared to a software thats made to create lighting effects.

As far as software goes, you'd have to write your own, and I don't know how hard that would be. I know with the ardiuno it can be used just like a reef keeper, it can monitor your ph, you would have to buy the probes of course but it can control your whole tank, it's all about programing. I've never programmed so I don't know, but I be read forums online as people setting up the arduino just like a reefkeeper.

Here's info for setting up an arduino just like you want, you can download their software already done.

http://reefledcontroller.com/

Wow that thing is awesome.. I'm going to see if my college has a programming for that I can take if not I'll just learn online thanks guys

Back
Top Bottom