I needed a quick and easy to make solution for my T5 as it was sitting too close to my aquarium glass top and causing the lighting to not distribute properly as well as making the bottom of the glass hood green.
Went to lowes and spent $36 to make it.
4) 1/2" pre bent conduit. (You will make a U out of it on each end.
2) connectors with screws to allow easy assembly and disasbly.
4) stainless D rings (made it easy to attach my fixture)
1) aluminum u channel (to make it sturdy)
2) 1/2" hooks to attach the U channel to the piping.
1) can of black spray paint.
I decided to chop the tubing down about 2" on each end so the light would fit hang at a good distance and allow me to push it to the back so i could access the front of the tank for feeding and cleaning.
About 20 min later (plus painting) I had a sturdy light stand that works great!