DIY lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ebay is a good place to get some descent prices. I am sorry to tell you, IMO if you are doing SW, and have more than Fish, lighting is just necessary as it gets. You seriously don't want to pinch too much on lighting, because when you want to add something later, it's a pain in the &%$ to have to shuck out tons of dough, when it would have been cheaper to get enough the first time.

Ebay sellers have options for just ballasts, just bulbs, just reflectors, or Retrofit kits, which is what I got. You actually have to assemble it.

adminstrative note: Topic moved to the DIY forum for more input from avid DIYers

------

Check out these sites:

www.hellolights.com

www.ahsupply.com

Search our forums for more on DIY lights, a lot of what you seek has been recently covered by myself and others, as well as there being plenty of archived information on lighting as well.

rossv what kind of lighting you looking for there are many kinds:

T5HO
MH
VHO
PC
....and the list goes on I hear alot of good things on T5 lighting. If you plan on having LPS and SPS then lighting is a must, if its all fish tank not quite of a concern. I have just ordered 2 T5HO light fixtures from SKR lighting. At a resonable price (very resonable) :) What size tank do you have? Alot of the times if your DIY lighting buy the parts that you would need will cost you just as much as buying a fixture or retro-fit. www.hellolights.com is a great site, but they dont have resonable prices on just DIY parts. If you have any more questions on lighting dont be shy to give me a private message ill be glad to help!

Back
Top Bottom