Diy live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kind of an after thought but does anyone know if there is any long term effects from the chemicals in the Portland cement? Do they seep out over the long term or how does that work. I just don't want to put these rocks in my tank and kill everything in a few months

I have been reading about this for months looking for info online. And no where dose it say that would happen. If you soak the rocks right and check your ph levels and wait till they stabilize you will be fine.

Ok good I just wanted to make sure. I mean I kind of figured it was that way if there were so many people doing it.

jjamontan said:
Still waiting for TinStav to get his done and posted. Is it coming Tom?

Yes its stillllll coming, ph is at 9, I think it's because I've been changing the water every 3 days (not daily) and that the big piece is about 25-30lbs so it's taking longer. I'm becoming impatient but can't risk dropping it in the tank yet. I'm going to do a PWC this weekend so I'll transfer the rock to SW and test it after a day or two and see how it goes.

jwalsh said:
Kind of an after thought but does anyone know if there is any long term effects from the chemicals in the Portland cement? Do they seep out over the long term or how does that work. I just don't want to put these rocks in my tank and kill everything in a few months

Try giving Mr X a pm if I'm not mistaken he works in the cement industry

jjamontan said:
Three months is a long time. I wish there was a way to do this in a month or so. Lots of work and time.

Yes I've never heard of anyone taking more than a month, I think it's because I've changed the water every three days, it's taken 3 times longer.

So you just cure it in plain old water first and then salt water after the Ph drops to normal correct? The reason I ask is my rocks are ready to come out of the sand and into the water tonight.

I change my water in the morning before going to work. When i get back from work and before i go to bed. My ph was stable in just over 2 weeks.

jwalsh said:
So you just cure it in plain old water first and then salt water after the Ph drops to normal correct? The reason I ask is my rocks are ready to come out of the sand and into the water tonight.

Yes. The saltwater cure is not necessary but just an extra precaution that's worth taking, plus if you throw a bit of LR/ LS in you can give the life in the rock a head start before dumping it into your DT.

Ibrahim said:
With the money spend on water, you can just buy base rock

I've probably put about 100 g of tap water into this. My main reason for doing it was to get my desired shapes

TomStav said:
I've probably put about 100 g of tap water into this. My main reason for doing it was to get my desired shapes

Gotcha. I was just saying as a heads up for others. Tap costs me 40¢ a gallon so it'd come around $60 with supplies and a 3 month wait.

Yeah I was going to put some live rock and a power head in there for the saltwater cure. Maybe some colonize.it works good in my tank I wouldn't see why it wouldn't help boost my bb in the tub and give the rock an extra little push

Where are you paying 40 cents/ gallon?! I'm pretty sure I only pay 18 cents in Wisconsin. Its pretty sad when a city thinks its OK to charge the same price for tap as I can go yet a gallon of r/o at the grocery

jwalsh said:
Where are you paying 40 cents/ gallon?! I'm pretty sure I only pay 18 cents in Wisconsin. Its pretty sad when a city thinks its OK to charge the same price for tap as I can go yet a gallon of r/o at the grocery

Maryland. But my water is very clean. Only thing that's off is PH

Back
Top Bottom