DiY Magnum 350 hoses..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Acer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ok so i went to lfs and they had used equipment for sale, i picked up a magnum 350 canister filter, just the filter for $20 and for $50 total i got a 250 watt titanium filter, the ones with the remote temp. control and a xlarge airpump for a 125 gal. my question is for the canister, there are no hoses. what i have available @ home is

1. 10 feet of clear hose, was bought @ plumbing dept. at home depot, they were by the nylon fittings for drinking water.

2. 2 brass ball valves standard valves sold at home depot with green grips on "switch".

3. 10 feet of hpvc? its the yellower pvc its marked for drinking water above 75 degrees f.

4. 4 90' elbows

5. 4-6 male adapters for the pvc

6. 1 can of krylon fusion "black"

7. 1tube of aquarium safe silicone

im not sure exactly how im going to get this done, i have basic "hardware" skills so im sure i can tackle this, my question is does the above list look ok? sorry dont have exact product numbers or links but can you pretty much say the materials are aquarium safe? any ideas, suggestions or past experiances? this is going to be used on a standard 125gal on a pine stand so what about 4' tall? im wanting to keep the filter in the cabinet.

yes sir, should of mentioned prev. its the canister not the hob and the hose i have to use is 3/4 :cool:

I would be wary of brass in an aquarium ... I am not sure if copper can leech out of brass.

I would use drinking quality PVC fittings (white ones) & hoses.

interesting.. i should of asked about the valves some more, i found it by where the drinking filters and nylon clear tubing is displayed.. as for the hpvc i think i should be fine right?

People say that, then there are many people using brass fittings on there CO2 equipment that have no issues. Personally I would like to know more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dezincification

Brass CO2 fittings are fine because it is not exposed to water, so won't corrode. Putting a brass fitting in water is different.

I know that the water co. put a small amount of phosphate in the water so that it will react & coat water pipes & fittings so there is no corrosion & leeching of metals. This will prob. happen in a tank as well so you are probably safe. But there are PVC valves one can use, so why take the chance?

Well, I should have clarified, some people use brass barb fittings on a PVC CO2 reactor, it goes inline with a canister filter so those fittings are exposed to water since they connect the water hose to the reactor.

Yeah the phosphate in planted tanks prob help

i think im going to go ahead & use the brass if my neighborhood ace hardware doesnt have ny pvc or nylon fittings... hopefully the krylon fusion will do good. i will be using it to paint the pvc so i can have "invisable" plumbing in the tank..

does anyone have any pics to custom plumbing on a canister filter? btw i just found a 350 biowheel attachment that i had no idea i even owned!

ok i dont need the pics anymore, i was directed to the marineland website where they have a parts diagram. i tested out the filter yesterday and cleaned it out. i works like a champ... being my first canister filter i was surprised with the amount of water flow it has. and like a dummy i made a big mess when i opened it up to check if a large bunch of moss was actually a fish that got sucked into a open hose of the intake.. i forgot about the siphon that occurs when the hoses are still in the water.. im going to for sure have the ball valves in there so i can cut the water when i open it up for maintence

sorry can you specify? when I tested the filter I couldn't get the hoses to stop leaking from the cap where the input output spouts are. I just slipped the hoses over the and tightened with reg hose clamps. I was starting to think maybe the hose is actually 1\2

so the hoses are too small?
Depends on what your inside diameter is on the hoses you have, if it is 3/4 I would think it is too big - The thick 5/8 Hose from HD will fit it very snug. perhaps taking the top piece with you to HD will help you as you could fit it before you bought the hose.

BTW: I had to wet the inside of mine just to push them onto the inlet and outlets on the filter.

FYI: It may be a good ideal to look over the hoses and make sure to pick one that has not been kinked as a kink will want to stay in the hose.... just a little heads up on that for you.

good shot thanks, im gonna go get some new hose then.. thanks alot

Back
Top Bottom