DIY nitrate reactor build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bshenanagins

Aquarium Advice Addict
Decided to build my cheap and simple reactor for my turtle tank. My nitrates shoot up in that tank and I can't do WC's as often as I'd like so I sought out a buffer. Just made this with why I already had and some elbows and o-rings. Tomorrow it will be operational and ill give updates on how effective it is. I made one before but didn't document it. For everything I think it was like $30 but I had somethings already (purigen can, foam pads, silicone).
Here's everything I'll have it all together tomorrow and running

Attachments

• image-2008344119.jpg
    image-2008344119.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 360
  • image-165553914.jpg
    image-165553914.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 284
  • image-1837941550.jpg
    image-1837941550.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 259
  • image-4259294435.jpg
    image-4259294435.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 257
  • image-1040733361.jpg
    image-1040733361.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 312
I let the silicone dry and now it's together. Can't run it for two days I realized since the silicone needs to fully cure. The water will enter from the left and exit from the right. You can't see it but there is some sponge under the white lid prior to the output just incase some gunk happens to pass through the denitrate.

Attachments

• image-1228950137.jpg
    image-1228950137.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 328
What is in it?

Seachems DeNitrate, it's engineered to house anaerobic bacteria (low oxygen). You can't put it in your filter because the oxygen levels are too high and will have no effect on nitrates. I've equipped it with a 50-80 GPH pump that I'm sure realistically will be less than 50 GPH and is exactly the range you need to promote said anaerobic environment.

Seachems DeNitrate, it's engineered to house anaerobic bacteria (low oxygen). You can't put it in your filter because the oxygen levels are too high and will have no effect on nitrates. I've equipped it with a 50-80 GPH pump that I'm sure realistically will be less than 50 GPH and is exactly the range you need to promote said anaerobic environment.

Makes sense. I'm thinking of getting a sunsun 603 and using it with seachem denitrate. It's flow is rated at 106gph but I think that's without media, max flow rate. If I got it I could probably slow down the flow rate. What do you think?

Not sure how adjustable the sun suns are, you could give it a try. I wanted to get the lowest rated pump I could find because I knew the actual numbers would be less so at the lowest setting, I will most likely be well under 50 GPH and that's the goal. Ill have it running in another day or so because I wana make sure the silicone cures properly. Ill post weekly results.

Not sure how adjustable the sun suns are, you could give it a try. I wanted to get the lowest rated pump I could find because I knew the actual numbers would be less so at the lowest setting, I will most likely be well under 50 GPH and that's the goal. Ill have it running in another day or so because I wana make sure the silicone cures properly. Ill post weekly results.

Another few questions... what sized tank, how big is the bottle/container, and fire much denitrate is in it

55 gallon tank, 2L container, 1.5L of DeNitrate. Total length of hose may equal about 2.5-3 feet

Ok so I got it going and the flow is REALLY slow which is what I wanted so it will definitely be a while till I notice results I believe. Some leaky spots but ill perfect it once I know it's working. I won't be able to get a reading until tonight though because I left my test kit at my mothers school. That will be the starting point. And I'll post weekly what the results are. As long as there is no stress in my dempsey I will avoid WC's to confirm its effectiveness.

Attachments

• image-1682457295.jpg
    image-1682457295.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 842
I unfortunately had to do a huge WC today because my ammonia was sky high and my JD wasn't looking great. Just did about a 90% change. I will check trates tomorrow and go from there

I unfortunately had to do a huge WC today because my ammonia was sky high and my JD wasn't looking great. Just did about a 90% change. I will check trates tomorrow and go from there

What do you think cause the ammonia spike?

What do you think cause the ammonia spike?

Too much feeding I suppose. Plus it's my turtle and a JD, not the smallest bioload for a 55 lol. Anyway should get better after the change ill check tonight. And it's a submersible pump I just connected some hosing to it that feeds to the reactor and then back into the tank

Any updates??
Sorry as TCC mentioned I have disassociated myself with the forum. I happened to just think about it and decided to pop on. Anyway the reactor did not work as well as planned but I would like to blame that on a significant bioload (turtle and some convicts in a 55 gallon). I believe I required more media and a larger chamber to house enough bacteria to combat my astronomical nitrate load. Anyway, I'm currently attempting the pothos route. I acquired some egg crate and cut it so it fit as a topper to my tank. I then stuck the roots through the egg crate until the were fully submerged. My nitrates are currently in the 80-100 range so if I remember ill pop back on with results in a couple weeks. For the reactor, I truly believe if my nitrates were more around the 40 ppm range it would have shown some results. I would think to notice anything I would have had to filled a 5 gallon bucket with media and water proofed it. Instead of wasting more money on media and materials I spent maybe $10 on three pothos plants and $12 on egg crate (y)

Back
Top Bottom