Diy Nitrate remover remodel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelso

Aquarium Advice Freak
I found a diy project using de-nitrate in a plastic water bottle with a tube going in the bottom and one going out the top. You put a little foam on the top and bottom of the de-nitrate on the inside to stop it from entering the tubes. You then pump water with a power head or small pump through the tubes and de-nitrate.

I made one and it worked pretty good. It gave me a little trouble due to the space I had so I went out to buy something a little better to put the de-nitrate in. I ended up almost getting convinced to buy a canister filter and not use the de-nitrate at my lfs. But I didn't give in, things are over $300 anyway. But I found a used canister with empty trays. $40 bucks, I snagged it and was able to fill one and a half of the trays with the de-nitrate I had. The pump built into the canister was shot, so I just ran a line to the pump I bought for the diy project, thing works great.

My question is, I still have one tray. I was wondering what I should put in it if anything. I could also take out the de-nitrate in the one filled half way and have two open trays. The trays are about 4-in diameter and about 2-in deep. Any advice would help.

Is denitrate related to the Kent nitrate sponge? If it is, doesn't this have to run anaerobically?

Denitrification occurs in deep sand beds or other places where there isn't any oxygen. The bacteria use nitrous oxides (nitrates nitrites etc) to respirate and eventually convert nitrates back into n2 (atmospheric nitrogen). This can't occur with oxygen, because oxygen is a better electron acceptor, so it prefers oxygen over nitrates etc.

This is seachem de-nitrate, it's a super pours stone of some sort in small pieces. I guess it builds up a lot of beneficial bacteria that eats nitrates, and from some posts I've read it lowers phosphates as well. From what I understand all you need to do is run water through it, favorably below 50 gph. I was wondering if there were another things to use that I could put in the empty trays in the canister.

I think you're talking about something like zeolite.

Description: kent marine nitrate sponge is a granular zeolitic medium which works by two methods. 1) it slowly directly adsorbs small amounts of ammonia that are released by fish and natural processes, and 2) it fosters anaerobic bacterial denitrification due to its physical porous structure. this denitrification slowly reduces nitrate levels in the aquarium. it works well in freshwater tanks or tap water to remove toxic ammonia directly! nitrate sponge prolongs the time allowed between water changes by keeping nitrates low!

From what I've read/talked to people, 50gph sounds like too much, unless it absorbs the nitrate rather than converts it. If you run this at 50gph, and it uses the same reaction I'm talking about, I'd imagine you will add too much oxygen to your "substrate" and kill off your nitrate eating bacteria. I'm hoping someone else can chime in, as I have no first hand experience with this.

Would adding more granuals do anything? I really have no idea how to judge the gph of the water flow. Like I said, the pump on the canister is busted, so I have it hooked up to an adjustable mini pump. I threw the box away and the pump itself is hidden so I can't read it but I think it was a maxi jet 401 or something like that. A chart I had said on high it maxes about 150 gph at 18". Right now it's on high, but I have no idea what it's moving gph wise. You know anyway to measure this? The container the de-nitrate came in said to not exceed 50 gph threw the stuff. This canister has the intake and return on the top, so I'm not sure how the water flows through the thing but the denitrate is on the bottom. It's a fluval 303.

It depends on if it just absorbs it or if it converts it. If it just absorbs it, you'll have to replace it every so often, but if it converts it, I think it can stay there.

The Kent Marine one (the one I've been referencing) says to keep the granules in water for like 3 weeks to culture the anaerobic bacteria (without any flow) then attach it to the tank via drip line. (meaning very very little flow)

You can measure the gph with a timer and a 5 gallon bucket or something similar.

Back
Top Bottom