DIY Overflow with Durso on back, need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Electrobes

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am thinking of building an Overflow with a durso in the back box. I need somewhere around a 500 GPH flow rate, what dimensions of the pieces of acrylic would I need cut to get the specs I want for it (500 gph and have it fairly silent)? Also what diameter pipe should I use? Thanks!

1" ID drain pipe does 600gph max. 1.25" ID drain pipe does 900gph max. I believe that max rates can be achieved only with straight flow, with no elbows or bends in the pipe.

Here's a calc:

http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/drain.php

Go larger than what you need, and remember that drilled hole size needs to be 1/4" to 1/2" or more bigger than pipe ID size.

The standpipe pipe inside of the overflow can also be larger than your drain pipe ID size, if you use a PVC size adapter. My standpipes are 1/2" larger than my drain size.

For a standpipe in an external box, due to space constraints, I would look into the other version of the "quiet" overflow. It's called a Stockman overflow and is on the Durso page as a compact overflow. The only thing I did differently is, instead of drilling holes in the standpipe, I cut a larger square hole at the level I wanted the water to stay. This works quite well and was actually a little quieter than the first one that was drilled per the instructions on the site. It takes up less room than the traditional Durso design and mine is pretty quiet. You can adjust the flow to a degree by inserting a piece of icemaker line into the vent hole at the top. By running the other end of this line down into the stand somewhere, you can quiet the slight gurgling sound even more. Just a thought.

Loganj, thanky, thanky, thanky!!

I've been looking for a more compact alternative to the Durso. I'll be running a 1.5" and a 2" standpipe in a 7"x7" corner overflow. Two Dursos won't fit, but it looks like two Stockmans will!

Back
Top Bottom