DIY Protein skimmer using a HOB filter possible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Electrobes

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering if there was a way to make a protein skimmer out of a HOB filter. I have an extra lying around, and tons of air pumps, and thought there might be a possibility with some extra additions (like acrylic walls and a collection cup, air pump) to the filter that could be made to turn it into a skimmer... what do you guys think?

Shockingly one of the new/used tanks i purchased was a FOWLR. (a 125G) Now his bioload was kinda light, but he ran an Emperor 400 with filterfloss floated in the media chamber and two airpumps and stones (one into each section of the Emperor) the filterfloss caught a lot of gunk and his nitrate levels were well in check for a FO tank. HTH

R-

here is a pic of the tetra tec pf150 I have laying around from the top view. Got a pretty nice pic surprisingly. I also have a big and small whisper filter. Anyway.. is there a possibility I could change this thing into a protein skimmer.. I was thinking of havign the air be placed in the main chamber (where the cartridges would go), only prob is I wouldn't know how to make the water escape from the bottom (water without protein). The filter foam could catch the gunk on the way out like a collection cup.. and I could just wash it out every once in a while.. what do you think?

poo... I put the motor back into place in thr filter but it is leaking... anyone know how to fix this? I was going to try the skimmer idea oh yeah and if you have any improvements please mention it! :wink:

Okay I fixed the leaking I didn't put it in right.. doh! But its now in my tank just moving water.. and for kicks I stuck in a bubbler in the main chamber and surprisingly it foamed... was it supposed to do that, even with a mediocre bubbler? Anyway does anyone have any suggestions as to how to make this idea work? thanks

i dont think a hob would be a good skimmer idea, skilter tried to do that and you just cant get a good dwell time or foam in something that small.

I agree as far as effectiveness it wont replace a good skimmer. But I was indeed suprised to see how much gunk the think actually pulled. But then again it could just speak for the water quality the guy kept. 8O

Back
Top Bottom