Diy pvc overflow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Been wondering if I should paint my pipes. What kinda paint did you use? Also would like to see a photo of your sump if you don't mind.

Should be fine. Safe for potable water so I see no harm to fish as long as it's cured completely. Read the label and see if it recommends primer before the glue. I've never used that specific brand.

it says can be used without primer if local code exists. What does cured completely mean? I used a glue in the past with negative results but the glue was expired. I am not sure if it was the expired glue or something else so I am worried :T .

Would I be able to put duct tape around the pipe so the pieces fit more snugly? Meaning just wrap a layer of duct tape instead of glue so the pipe and attachments fit more tighter

You really don't need primer but i'd still use it it you have it. Read the label to see how long it says to wait for full cure but usually 24 hours is enough.
I would NOT use duct tape as a source of pipe connection. Just use the glue and you can sleep well at night without fear of the tape failing.

It's because I used the exact same brand before but my fish tank started to die, I had to remove it and do a huge water change.
The only difference is that the can I used was expired and this one is not so naturally I am worried

Also, on the old one that was bad, I still smell very strong chemicals coming from inside the pipe. Good pipe/glue is not supposed to put off any smell?

Well if you let it sit for a couple days and the smell is still strong, I'd use another glue. You should be able to get some proper glue for just a few dollars. Again, since I'm not familiar with that glue, I'm hesitant to suggest using it. If that's your only option, let it sit for a day or two and run water through it in an empty tank and see if the smell disappears.

Sorry to bump up an old topic.

I can't understand how the siphon is maintained when water drains below the intake. I thought to maintain the reserve has to be inline with the tank water while still carry water over the highest point. I imagine maybe the valve keeps air out enough to maintain water over the bend? What happens if you accidently knock the tube?

Would you elaborate a bit on the physics behind the intake siphon and maintenance please?

I was just like you aqheart when I was starting this. All I can say is I tried so hard to understand the dynamics and such, but in the end when nobody could give me a definite answer I just went out and made my own. It worked but you should test with a fake power outage to make sure the siphon is held.

The only thing I ever had to do was initially suck on the tube so the water would flow, after that I havent had to do anything. Other than that I would say look into what glue you are using. I used some glue that was supposedly safe that killed my fish, after that I just didn't use any glue and jammed the pipes tight and havent had any problems.

Sorry to bump up an old topic.

I can't understand how the siphon is maintained when water drains below the intake. I thought to maintain the reserve has to be inline with the tank water while still carry water over the highest point. I imagine maybe the valve keeps air out enough to maintain water over the bend? What happens if you accidently knock the tube?

Would you elaborate a bit on the physics behind the intake siphon and maintenance please?
The only time mine ever drops below the intake is when I do a water change and then I just shut off the valve below my tank before doing that and as soon as the water gets back above it I open it back up and siphon is never lost If I experience a power outage my sump actually fills and does the same thing as if I shut that valve off and since the water actually never drops below the intake it never loses siphon and when the power comes back on voila I have overflow again

Back
Top Bottom