DIY reclaimed wood stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aqua-therium

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So my 5 year old son made a request...
Daddy can you make me a hulk tank.(Hulk theme)..so this Is part one of my 10 gallon nano build...

ForumRunner_20130523_210804.jpg
So I started by "craigslisting" a few pallets. .. then I proceeded with dissembling

ForumRunner_20130523_211056.jpg

ForumRunner_20130523_211134.jpg
Then I proceeded to making a simple stand

ForumRunner_20130523_211248.jpg

ForumRunner_20130523_211319.jpg

ForumRunner_20130523_211403.jpg

Then using wood from the pallets I made a border around the frame.

I made a little area so he can put his action figure and room for a little shelve for food n liquids...
Next up is painting the wood n making the canopy...

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130523_210703.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130523_210703.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 141
  • ForumRunner_20130523_211436.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130523_211436.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 97
  • ForumRunner_20130523_212335.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130523_212335.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 115
  • ForumRunner_20130523_212626.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130523_212626.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 138
  • ForumRunner_20130523_212733.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130523_212733.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 160
Omg! Where were you when I was setting up my 9 year old sons tank!! You should post this in the DIY thread too!! That stand is awesome and out of old pallets! I may have some questions for you lol!

Omg! Where were you when I was setting up my 9 year old sons tank!! You should post this in the DIY thread too!! That stand is awesome and out of old pallets! I may have some questions for you lol!

Lol same but I think I'll just buy 2x4's easier and straighter

No way! The idea of reusing the old lumber is what gives it charm. Those pallets are solid you'd just have to make sure you squared it up good. In this case the parts of the pallet would make for smaller cuts too. Less waste! It would work with new lumber and if someone wanted to do it with that it would look great too. However I don't think the strength factor of recycled lumber is compromised enough to not use the pallets either. Unless they were rotten in the middle. There's some old pallets kicking around out there lol!

Lol I was setting UP more n more tanks Lol...the idea resulted from RRR ...recycle reduce reuse...I can't wait till I'm done I will get at it on Monday.

Lol same but I think I'll just buy 2x4's easier and straighter

The idea behind is not about it being easy...or straighter. Every imperfection was made for a reason to give him a tank that was rustic n ”HULKY" look...sure I could go and buy good looking 2x4's but that would defeat the purpose. He is big on picking up after himself and hates people littering he is a true "green" boy... green like hulk Lol

Love it! How many pallets would you say was used? Including canopy?
Or should I say one would use for a 33gal? ;)

Love it! How many pallets would you say was used? Including canopy?
Or should I say one would use for a 33gal? ;)

I used one complete pallet just for the stand in Monday I'll see how much I need for the canopy. 33 gallon? 4 maybe. How do u think this looks?

The idea behind is not about it being easy...or straighter. Every imperfection was made for a reason to give him a tank that was rustic n ”HULKY" look...sure I could go and buy good looking 2x4's but that would defeat the purpose. He is big on picking up after himself and hates people littering he is a true "green" boy... green like hulk Lol

No no I love the idea I'm just saying a 2x4 that's new would more than likely have less warp. Idk Ill try and make 1 for my now front with a pallet and my other one well I already have it drawn up in 3d lol

The pic didn't load on my phone I'll check it again in the morning. It's almost 1am here lol! I like what I saw in the earlier part of this thread though :)

It's 3 am here deal with it :p can't sleep I see fish people

Lmao! I would love to however I have kids and a hubby who will wake early and expect me to be too. So even if I have to lay there with my eyes closed any rest is some lol!

Lmao! I would love to however I have kids and a hubby who will wake early and expect me to be too. So even if I have to lay there with my eyes closed any rest is some lol!

Don't you hate when everyone makes you feel like just because they have to do it you do too? Your a mom hardest job in the world hands down...

The pic didn't load on my phone I'll check it again in the morning. It's almost 1am here lol! I like what I saw in the earlier part of this thread though :)

Thanks once again...I'm more excited for this 10 gallon build than any of my 23 aquariums I have even my koi pond.

ForumRunner_20130525_124259.jpg

not even that guy above...

Back
Top Bottom