DIY retrofit overflow box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishStarter89

Aquarium Advice Regular
Does anyone know where I can find a guide for making a diy overflow box? I screwed up while drilling my tank and drilled the holes too low so using a standard internal overflow box, which usually have a length of 5", will probably leave 2"-2.5" of space between my water level and the bottom of my plastic rim. I was thinking of siliconing three pieces of plexiglass together and cutting the fish-protecting notches with a dremel. Any advice would be appreciated.

Does anyone know where I can find a guide for making a diy overflow box? I screwed up while drilling my tank and drilled the holes too low so using a standard internal overflow box, which usually have a length of 5", will probably leave 2"-2.5" of space between my water level and the bottom of my plastic rim. I was thinking of siliconing three pieces of plexiglass together and cutting the fish-protecting notches with a dremel. Any advice would be appreciated.

Maybe you could just leave the holes as they are and silicone on a drilled box to the back. A tupperware container would probably work. Let the water flow out the holes lower down then upwards to your intake tube. Drill holes in the bottom of the box for the tubes to the sump. The top of the box should reach above the waterline by a few inches and the drainage tube could be lifted to the level you want it to drain from. Surface skimming may still be an issue i guess but it's an idea you could toy with.

Why don't you keep the hole and add basically a pvc pipe to the top for surface skimming? Paint it black and your set. That will be your overflow basically

Why don't you keep the hole and add basically a pvc pipe to the top for surface skimming? Paint it black and your set. That will be your overflow basically

What would be the best way to keep fish out of those pipes? Also, I was trying to implement a Herbie method with one hole 1"-1.5" higher than the other so do you think that I could still make that work with this method?

What would be the best way to keep fish out of those pipes? Also, I was trying to implement a Herbie method with one hole 1"-1.5" higher than the other so do you think that I could still make that work with this method?

At the top just cut slits small enough so fish can't get in and big enough to have decent water leaving the tank

Just have a new one made or make one yourself. Could likely have one made for cheaper than sourcing the parts and tools if you don't already have some of them.

Back
Top Bottom