DIY Root Tabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adadkins1

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, I'm a big DIY guy so I was pondering root tabs. Seems you can get some great results from this recipe: DIY - Root Tabs and save money! Anybody attempted this project or have some input?

Here's a recipe:

These are great root tabs made by yours truly with a blend of N P K and CSM+B (that's macros + micros) held together by a very high quality completely raw carbondale red clay (really high in iron).

The rough ingredient percentages are as follows
Clay- 48%
CSM+B 32%
Magnesium Sulfate 8%
Potassium Sulfate 8%
Potassium Nitrate 4%

Ahhh, wish I had found that before hand! I only made like 2 dozen so not like I used up all my clay. Do you know how often they need replenished?

I haven't used clay, but some of my club members do and they like it. I have capsules because that's what I bought from a hobbyist on The Planted Tank forum.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Capsules seem to be the cheaper route. Does it matter what size the capsules are?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Awesome! Thanks guys! I'll definitely be trying both!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A ton. Enough to last for years unless you have a ton of tanks. If you are only working with a few tanks it's probably a lot cheaper and easier to buy some premade ones on ebay.

I mean, can I get 100 tabs per pound? 50? 200?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's been a while since I've dealt with smaller O+ quantities (been working with 50 pound bags for the most part) but I seem to remember that a 4.5 lb jug of osmocote would yield a little over 2,000 tabs. As jeta said, that is extreme overkill when just 100 tabs or so would last you a very long time.

Back
Top Bottom