Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-11-2021, 02:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Question DIY Stand for 125 Gallon Aquarium Both Side View Tip Over

Hello good people of AA,

I was wondering if there are some stand builders around that could help with this build. I took the idea from The king of DIY YouTube channel and modify it to suit my needs.

My Aquarium I was told, when I bought it like 10 years ago, is 125 gallon but its only 22" Tall, 6' 5/16" Long, 1' 6 9/16" Depth. I've seen the standard for this is 24" tall but this is not the case.

Anyway I'm building my stand and started by creating a 3d plan to see how it would all go together. The stand dimensions are 30" Tall, 6' 1/2" Long, 1' 8 11/16" Depth. I want this stand for my division between my dining room and living room and as such it will be visible from both sides. with only one of the shorter sides facing the wall. I measured everything so it will fit the sump tank below, chiller, and everything else.

Now I'm second guessing if the aquarium would tip over. I choose 2x6 lumber for extra strength, stability, and weight. I could fill the bottom of the aquarium with sand for added bottom weight also.

I included some photos from the 3d model let me know what you think.

Thank you very much in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aquarium Stand(1).jpg
Views:	15
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	319265   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aquarium Stand.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	319266  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Aquarium Stand1.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	319267   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aquarium Stand2.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	319268  

Old 01-11-2021, 02:46 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sketchup. One of my favourite pieces of CAD software. Moved onto revit now so dont think I'll use sketchup again, but i will miss its simplicity of use.

Old 01-11-2021, 02:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiken Drum View Post
Sketchup. One of my favourite pieces of CAD software. Moved onto revit now so dont think I'll use sketchup again, but i will miss its simplicity of use.
Tell me about it. It's so easy to use for quick sketching and viewing projects.
Old 01-11-2021, 03:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Our IT at work wont support sketchup any more, but i can still access the web app in an emergency. Sorry for hijacking your post talking about software.

Im not a structural engineer, but a sheet of WBP plywood fixed at the back would give it some bracing and help stop it collapsing/tipping.

Edit: Brookster builds tank stands. He will give you much better advice.

Tags
125 gallon, 25 gallon, 5 gallon, aquarium, diy, diy stand, gallon, stand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com