DIY stand for 20long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For a 20 gallon you could simply find a dresser or, most any decent quality table from a furniture store would hold it. A 20 gallon tank will max out around 175 pounds. So if you'd be comfortable sitting on the table/dresser it will hold a 20 gallon. I had my old 20 sitting on an old desk with a simple matt underneath to catch water drips so it didn't mar the desk. You could even put it on a book case if it's stable enough (meaning preferbly mounted to the wall/floor) and the shelves were solid enough (again, would support you sitting on it)

For building one, the money you would spend on wood and materials you might be able to find something at a thrift store for the same.

Here's an example, a TV stand for $70.

***"you sitting on it" assumes an average persons weight of 150-200 pounds

Alot of tv's are close to the same weight as aquariums, so for smaller ones, I don't see what the problem would be in using a tv stand. :)

Those are for the smaller ones,.. such as 10 gallons. But for a 20 gallon, I wouldn't want to use a TV stand.

well I kinda wanted to save some $$ and I could easily build a stand for about $20, I was just currious! I do have a dresser, but I dont think it could hold a 20 (has held my 10 for 2 years but....)
thanks

my 30g long is sitting on a small vanity i picked up off the side of the road and repainted. its been there for ages without issues, if the surface is sturdy and LEVEL, who cares what the heck it is?

DIY is here to specifically get around buying retail aquarium supplies that are overpriced and inadequate.

I agree , and disagree....

If the tv stand or dresser comes as ready to assemble, such as billyz's link, I say no....flakeboard and knock down fittings are not durable enough to hold up to the weight and moisture...over time it will fail...(sorry Billy)

If the cabinet / furniture actually has some structure...some sort of joinery...better quality material...it should suffice...

As far as making one for a 20... it could be as simple as a 3/4 plywood cube...as long as it's square and the corners are fastened secure it will hold the weight fine...I just built this utility bench for my 55 out of 1 x 6 plywood scraps...it may not be pretty but it will hold the weight +...

img_770999_0_00ff4eefe18dbb9c225398db9eacf4ad.jpg

img_770999_1_bdbc869c2caf403b63e90d7763f51687.jpg

i see your point, redswi. i would concur that flakeboard is not where you want to go with a stand... even one in a LFS...:)
my desk/vanity/stand is acually real wood, and had to be at least 20 years old or more, with god solid construction. and by the way

your wood working skill with scraps blows mine away! need an apprentice? :)

I've seen a simple stand made of 2x4s with a sheet stapled around the top edge (bottom of tank) and it actually look pretty good. There is always a way to make something work without spending tons of money!!!

Go to a construction site and as them if they have any wood they are looking to get rid of. You probably need only 2-3 8ft pieces of 2x4 to construct a stand for a 20, then use the $20 to buy half in ply wood to use as a top, and possibly enough for the bottom and sides. Just make sure you are stacking the wood so the weight rest on the wood and not on the screws, this is a big no-no.

Here are some links to a stand I made for a 55gal that I overbuilt. I got rid of the 55gal and have a 80gal tank on it. I in the process of building a stand for a 180gal tank.

http://www.cichlidgallery.com/My-Tanks:-300-Gallon-and-135-Gallon/Stand_Pic_1

http://www.cichlidgallery.com/My-Tanks:-300-Gallon-and-135-Gallon/Stand_Pic_2_001?full=1

Back
Top Bottom