DIY stand plans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfreek

Aquarium Advice Addict
U got a used aquarium or maybe your pocket cant foot out the couple hundred dollars your LFS wants for a nice solid wood stand for your tank.

Why not build one yourself. Here is a great site that allows you to enter the dimentions of your tank stand. The output is a great materials list along with a list of cuts you need. Then you get step by step instructions on how to put it all together.

http://www.garf.org/tank/buildstand.asp

Not to sound like too much of a n00b, but, i am assuming that LFS means Local Fish Store?

i built my own stand last week i made a 11/2 inch top out of pine and the same goes for the rails and legs theres also a shelf on the bottom to store stuff it looks really nice stained black

First post, great site!

I've just been admiring some of the awesome DIY projects listed on this site as I’m thinking of embarking on a few of my own in the coming months, but I saw this sticky and thought I’d share this link I came across using Google.

http://www.fishandtips.com/index.php

Very clean interface, step by step instructions and purchase list.

Hope it helps a few.

are the stands made to hold that much weight? and what are the cost of these projects?

if anything, the garf stands are slightly overbuilt. The 2"x4" lumber will hold a considerable amount of weight.

The cost will vary depending on lumber costs in your area and what lumber you choose to use for the panels and doors etc but they are typicaly much less expensive than buying a prebuilt stand.

The burst strenght and shear streaght of ordanary pine is quite impressive..
Pre-fabricated store bought wood tank stands are much less sturdy then garf.org stands.

Garf suggested 4x4s for my 125gal stand I found. I built mine out of 2x6's and left the brace between the middle and end on both sides out. Its still built like a tank. Weighs 200-250 lbs easy.

I can't really tell how the framing is put together, any knows if the top,bottom and virticle 2x4 go under or to the side of the others?

kaz said:
I can't really tell how the framing is put together, any knows if the top,bottom and virticle 2x4 go under or to the side of the others?

garf shows them as screwed into the sides... at least that is what i remember from when i was looking at the garf stands.

personally, i would do both... use a double 2x4 for the legs. cut the outer 2x4 shorter so that the top frame will rest on that 2x4 and use the inner 2x4 to screw into the inside of the top frame. the outer leg will carry most of the load to the bottom of the stand, and the inner 2x4 will add stability to the whole stand, and prevent it from racking -> going like this: /__/ instead of this |__| (yeah, i left off the top line)

oh, and use some screws to hold both parts of the leg together.

is this over designed... yes. but it is strong.

~mike

how about cutting it in L shape so the upper frame rest on half of the 2x4 and the virticle section is inside of the frame and screws can go there herizontal? would that work?

nice

i checked out the site it, its pretty cool
u input the measurements you wants and tells how to cut it
i am going to use the plans for my new 100 gal
sweet

Back
Top Bottom